Why is he getting up so much earlier?

My son had been sleeping until 6:30-7:30 a.m. and now he has been up at 5:30 a.m. all week. He is awake and happy, but why? Nothing else has changed. His bedtime is still the same.

He is 17 months old.

ILuvMyBoys07

Asked by ILuvMyBoys07 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What time does he go to bed? I was once told the more hours they (and you) get before midnight, the better. This might help: How much sleep does your child need?

With our first I kept her up until 10pm every night so that my husband could help put her to bed since he worked 14 hr days and rarely got to see her. It wasn't until my 2nd that I realized how much that was effecting our first. She use to get up super early until I started putting her down earlier. Finally I started putting her down between 8-9pm and she would sleep later.

pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• as kids get older they seem to get up earlier. If you want those extra hours of sleep then try putting him to bed a little later. 13 hours is a lot for his age and hes probably just growing out of it.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I'd recommend putting him to bed later if you want more sleep in the morning.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• For us it was the opposite as others said, the earlier they went to bed, the later they slept in. But it has been true that the older they've gotten the earlier they've gotten up but not quite that earlier. If they get up ealier than 6:30 I tell them it's too early to be up and they either have to go back to their bed or join me in mine and we go back to sleep.
    pwfaith

• How many naps does he take during the day. At that age, its best for him to just take one nap and let him go to bed around 8is or 9is, whichever he can make it to best. My daughter used to go to bed at 7 and sleep till 7, then she started waking up at 5 and Im not a morning person. We started with the just one nap a day thing and she would go to bed at 9 or 930 and she sleeps till about 8 most days.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone! He has been napping in the morning for about 45min-1 hour. Then he naps in the afternoon from 1.5 - 2.5 hours. He goes to bed for the night between 7-8p.m. Keeping him up any later really makes it worse. I have wondered if cutting out his morning nap would help, but he still seems to really need that.
    ILuvMyBoys07

Answer by ILuvMyBoys07 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i would def cut one of the naps. One long nap a day should be enough. You know your son better than anyone though and if he needs two naps then so be it! :) Good luck!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2008