How long would you want your child to date someone before getting married?

& why? ... & if you're married, how long did you date your husband before you two got married?

Kisses4Henry

Asked by Kisses4Henry at 10:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't like to see him married until he was done with college and had a job. I know for me I was not ready to get married until after I had completed my undergrad and graduate degrees. My husband and I dated for 6 months before we became engaged, but our engagement was over 2 years as we used that time to plan for our marriage not just a wedding day.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We dated 3 yrs before marriage. At least one year.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• 3 years probably and it depends on there age. i would recommend no one gets married until they are atleast 23 or 24. im not maried yet.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• At least a year, at least that long, then announce their engagement. But,,you never know, we dont have any control over what they are really going to end up doing
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think 1-2 years. Any shorter it would be really hard to really know someone. I met my husband Feb 1999. We were just friends until August 1999 and we became boyfriend/Girlfriend. He asked me to marry him Dec 2000 and we got married March 2nd, 2002.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 10:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It depends on how old they are at the time. If they are young, I think they should date for a longer period of time, like 3 years. If they are older, like mid 20s or later, I would say that a year of dating is sufficient. I dated my ex for 18 months before we married when I was 20. I dated my husband for 2 1/2 years before we married when I was 35.

ps - whether or not they have kids matters too. If kids are already involved, I think they should date someone longer just to be sure they are the one. And I would never be okay with them living with someone before marriage - studies show that there is a higher divorce rate for people that live together first.

Answer by missanc at 10:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I was 24 years old when we got married also
    zakityzak

• Depends on their maturity. My husband and I dated for 3 months before getting married, and have been happily married for 6 years (as of yesterday!). My sister married a guy after dating for 6 months, and they were separated 4 months later (took them 4 years to actually get a legal divorce...but it was over at that 4 month mark). I knew what I was doing, that we loved each other and really wanted to spend the rest of our lives with each other; she was rushing for all the wrong reasons (planning to go into military (which didn't happen), wanted to prove people wrong, because I'd done it, etc.).

If my kids are like me and I feel I can trust their decisions, then I figure they'll know what's right for them. If they're more like my sister, I'll try my best to talk them out of something like that, though ultimately it's still their decision, of course. Only time will tell.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Depends. I only knew my husband for 9 months when we got married and we have been married for 3 years and still going strong.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• we dated for 5 years before getting married and now we are going on 14 years together - 9 married.. but I guess more than time wise i would want my child to live with someone first to see if it could work -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2010