Natural Childbirth

I'm wondering if any of you have chosen to have a natural childbirth and what made you decide to go that route? What did you do to prepare for it and what was your partner's role/participation?

clr76

Asked by clr76 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had what my doctors lovingly referred to as 95% natural childbirth. Twice. I am a firm believer that women have been having babies unassisted for thousands of years now and that I am just as strong as any of them. (Now I'm not knocking MANDATORY medical interventions, episiotomies suck get drugged, and sometimes there's no other choice to have a healthy baby or any woman who really just feels they can't do it alone.. really, I just think you're silly and need to have more faith in yourself)
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have had the doctors give me HALF a normal dose of a mild painkiller. Just enough to not affect my pain levels at all but enough to calm my head so I could focus on breathing through my pain and getting my baby out.
    And believe me, I hoot and holler and moan and cry...but within moments of the shoulders passing I am so overcome with adrenaline and joy the pain is non existent.
    tat2edmommyof2

• And really all I've ever had my partner or my mother do for me is apply counter pressure on my back, ignore the psycho that comes out when the contractions are 45 seconds apart, and bring me all the ice chips I could chew. I am more irritated by soothing gestures or "just breathe"sand just wnat ot get thru it in my own way...
    tat2edmommyof2

• If you want to know more about this subject, there is an awesome group I'm in called Birth is Normal with some very intelligent ladies who will be able to answer all your questions. Good luck on your search.
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 3:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• 1st baby - all natural no meds. Only because I waited so long to get to the hospital though LOL lots of screaming and yelling from me, I kicked a nurse across the room. Oops :) I did give her an I'm sorry card

2nd baby- tried to go natural with no meds but they gave me pitocin. after slapping a nurse into the monitors and getting a heart monitor on his head instead of my belly, I opted for an epidural. got it, took a nap and pushed for 15 minutes only. Oh that was nice! :)

3rd baby- got the epi before they broke my water. went to sleep for about 8 hours woke up, it was time to push. pushed twice.

those are just my experiences, people can bash me or whatever. I definitely will get an epi with any future babies.
    Anonymous

• Im all for epidural. I put up with such strong contractions for more then 18 hours all like 5 minutes apart. when i finally was ready for epi. i went to sllep for like 8 hours also and pushed about 3 times, I m going to get it with this one also, I just don't get why someone would want to go through that pain when you can take something for it, not saying anything bad to you about it just my opinion.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• You have to watch the Ricki Lake documentary; The Business of Being Born!!!!!! It is amazing the information that pregnant women are missing as far as what delivery is all about. We ARE capable of having a baby naturally, with support from hubby, doula, or friend. God created our body to do this, he didn't make a mistake. If I would have known about the bond that happens when you deliver naturally, I would have done it. I felt detached from both my sons, and they were born using interventions, neither were breathing & needed assistance. At least do your due diligence & research all options. Why do we do more homework on buying a car then we do about our own bodies & something that involves life & death? I know the next delivery for me will be natural. Good luck on your journey
    Montanamomma2

Answer by Montanamomma2 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I didn't get an epidural because everyone I talked to that had one said they couldn't tell if they were pushing or not because they couldn't feel anything, and because of that, their labor was really long. I was fine without one and only pushed for five minutes with my son. I am going no drugs again this time. It's really not that bad. By the time you want drugs it's almost over anyway. Good luck to you and either decision you make.
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 4:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Next time I will because my first hospital experience was really traumatic for me.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• montana momma
    everyone makes mistakes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2008