Gift timing

My DD's 6th birthday is coming up. She's opted for a home party this year in place of the "bring 1 or 2 friends on a special outing" celebration she usually picks. We'll be having 9 girls join DD for a dress-up tea party.

It's been a while since we've done an actual party for either of our kids. We usually do the aforementioned special trip with a friend or two. The parties my 2 attend are usually out at some location that hosts parties, so I'm not really sure of the current 'in home party etiquette on gifts. What do you do? Do you have the birthday child open their presents while their friends are still there, or do you wait and open them after everyone else has gone home as if you were at one of those hosted at an event place type parties?

ldmrmom

Asked by ldmrmom at 11:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do it there. Most kids like to see the birthday girl open her presents. Plus, it gives her a chance to tell them thanks for them in person.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'd have her open them there. When I give a gift, even to a little girl, I like to see her face when she opens it.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• while everyone is still there so she can say thank you
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We always did dinner/lunch or had finger foods available. After a meal if there was one, we played games and did crafts and whatever else we were doing. Then we would do cake/ice cream. After that was presents. But we did all of that before the kids left.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Thanks all!
    ldmrmom

Comment by ldmrmom (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2010