I feel bad for my son....

I have untreated ADHD and a learning disability.. I can't read very well - maybe at like a 9th grade level - comprehension is so bad and all my skills acedemically are at the lowest level yet "somehow" I graduated high school - I won't be able to help my son with anything and I feel horrible about it.. I am 32 now and can't take the ADHD meds because they make me so angry and its not fair to my family - he is turning 3 in Nov but I know I will never be able to help him with his work and actually, his chances of adhd \ are 90% since me and hubby are both adhd ... do you think I should bring him to a learning center before school to get him ahead of the game or have him start school at 5 and see where he's at???

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with beyondhopes. I know a woman that is your age that claims to be the most intelligent person she knows that doesn't know what the word comprehension means, let alone how to spell it or use it in context. My son has ADD, so does my husband. Frat Twin Mama is right, you having the difficulties you have had to face will make it so much easier for you to cope with any difficulties your son may have. Don't worry about it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you or your son. I am dyslexic, but most people don't know that about me. I found ways to retrain my brain so that it isn't a huge part in my life. It is something that comes up every now and then, but most of the time, I excel with words. I helped my husband through his college courses. And I have been able to help my son so far. There is no need for any intervention now. See where he is at when he starts school. Your teachers there can help with that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think you should look into a reading tutor for yourself so that you feel better about yourself and will be able to help your son out better.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i say just try the best you can with him and start him in school when he's able to start..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• How is he doing with his development right now? Learning disabilities and adhd will show up at 3 years old. Just do your best to help him learn study skills that will help him to help himself. If he seems to be struggling learning what he should be then look for tudors or outside assistance. Talk to your doctor about your son's development and see what he thinks about it. He may be able to refer you to therapists if your son is in need. Don't make a huge deal out of any of it at this age or you may make him think he has a problem when he doesn't. And know that if he does have adhd and/or learning disabilities, at least you will have an advantage over a parent that has never dealt with those issues before! You have faced them, lived with them, understand them, and overcome them and can help him to do the same!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 11:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Ok, from reading this post, you believe this is a 9th grade level? Nothing 9th grade here sister. I truly believe you write and read past a 9th grade level. As for son, stop panicking. Do not force anything on him if he is not ready for it. Honestly if he is ADHD,,,that cannot be forced into a change. If you want to put him into a special program, do that. But let him go at his pace,
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• You say that your reading skills and comprehension are at a 9th grade level. But the fact is, you should be able to help him with beginning books and his ABC's and writing his name. This is pretty simple, and you can work on it a few minutes several times a day. You don't have to do it all at one time. You can put him in a Pre-K class if you want, some schools do have it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2010