Do you know how to make Homemade Degreaser for your hands?

My Parents, Sister (haven't got the other two on board yet), and I are trying to find ways to cut back on how much we buy. We're finding more and more things we can make ourselves that save on cost and time. (Less time at the grocery store) With that we are searching the interwebs for recipes and tips on how to make soap, laundry detergent, even fabric softner ourselves. One thing we haven't been able to find is a Degreaser. My Dad works on the car, mower, and power tools and gets grease all over his hands. There are stores that sell degreaser, but that would go against our recent DIY obsession. We have found degreasers for floors, appliances, tools, automotive parts, etc. The issue is none of those are really safe for general use on hands and other body parts. So I'm asking you ladies if any of you know a good homemade recipe for hand safe degreaser? THANKS!

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 11:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• To get motor oil off of hands and from under fingernails I got this tip from "how clean is your house" a BBC show. Take some cheap margarine and rub it on your hands, then put a scoop of sugar into the mix on your hands. The margarine gets the oil from the skin and the sugar is just abrasive enough to clean out those icky fingernails. I hope this works for you. It did for me when I had to put a chain back on a bike.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 8:38 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We just use regular dish soap... once my hairdresser got dye all over me, I had to use some Comet to get it off. Maybe that will work.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Use baking soda... we find it works pretty well. Just make a paste with a little water. Or you can use lemon juice to get the citrus action too. Just make sure to use lotion afterwards, the baking soda can be drying.
    AnyaV

Answer by AnyaV at 11:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• good for yoy
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:30 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• ooops meant you
    san78