At 8 month how often is your baby breastfeeding?

My daughter is our 3rd but first to be nursed this long so I'm unsure of what's "normal". Should I be nursing before or after I offer solids? Right now she eats solids 3 times a day and nurses AFTER. I have heard that solids should be after. Also, at 8 months what table foods is your baby eating? She is more interested in self feeding and gets bored with the baby foods.

lizafur13

Asked by lizafur13 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I nurse on demand. If either one of my children wanted some boob before food. I gave it to them. If they wanted it after. I gave it to them.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 11:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My baby nursed at 8m and nurses at 11 mo whenever she wants several times a day. I do not clock watch. Nurse first solids 2nd. At 8mo she ate anything from asparagus to kiwi to blueberries, guacamole, mango spears, half sour pickles, 3 bean chili, etc There is nothing she won't try. I never did jars, or purees or cereal. I find them bland, boring, uninteresting, a pain and pricey. We do table foods and mealsharing from the get go and self feeding. no compulsery spoon feeding. no teeth and she can devour an apple. check out baby led solids especially the gil rapely article.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:02 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Always nurse first, solids after through the first year. I didn't follow that strictly as my boys both nursed on demand and didn't take large amounts of solids regularly until well after 12 months (we're just working up to 3 full meals a day and my baby is 17 months... today he really only had breakfast and a small lunch). If baby is eating a lot of solids, though, make sure to nurse first to be sure she is filling up on milk and not solids.

As for what table foods... everything! Steamed veggies, chicken, fish, brown rice... soft fruits... halved grapes, pears (yes, whole!), avocado (obviously...) banana... Just stay away from allergy triggers... dairy, egg, nuts, berries, shellfish etc...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:20 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Breastfeeding remains to be the main source of nutrition through the 12th mo. Breastmilk is important for braingrowth. Babies never need baby food they can start on fork mashed foods they feed themselves. The latest research shows there is evidence of need to stay away from any foods for fear of allergies including peanuts after 6 mo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I nurse my almost 8 month old about every 3 hours still, for a total of 7 times a day. She sleeps through the night with only one wake up. It is milk before solids. My dd getsat least a taste of whatever we are eating as long as it isn't too hard to chew or on the avoid until 1 year list (there are a lot of allergies in my family so I still adhere to that list). We eat pretty healthily, though, so it's mostly veggies that she tries. She also gets fresh fruits, puffs, graham crackers, yogurt melts, cheerios.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:38 AM on Aug. 29, 2010