Is there a fine line or point when a child is copying there sister or brother too much?

I have two daughters ages 6 and 4. it bothers me to no end my 4 year old daughter copies her older sister in every single little thing. My husband said it happens with siblings and he then said i know nothing since im a only child. Well my 4 year old also has delays, had speech delays is better but has developmental problems. She is always hungry, never satisfied, MIGHT have ADHD and SENSORY INTERGRATION DISORDER. She STARES at ME, DH & Sister when we eat. She stares at you like a hawk when your making food even if its not for her (she already ate) she looks at dh when he eats chips like shes a starving child. My DD whos 6 asked me to make her a peanut butter sandwich and i gave her one then DH was mad dogging our 6 year old until i gave in to my other dd. i yelled at him saying how he lets her walk all over him. she copies everything she does, from being hot to cold to being hungry when shes really not. its irritating

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• not sure but my 5 yr old loves mocking everything my 10 yr old says and that is driving me nutty.
    Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It is very common in siblings. I have a 2 year old that copies everything my 4 and 6 year old do. You need to relax. If your younger dd has delays, then copying her sister could help.

When my 2 year old does like your younger dd does with food.... I give her just a little bit of the older ones sandwich. If shes really hungry, she'll eat it. If not, she doesn't.

Its really not a big deal. There is nothing wrong with what she is doing, especially if she has some delays.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 11:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Kids do it. Your husband shouldn't encourage it, IMO. However, my two year old will constantly say things or do things that her 8 year old brother does. Simply because she looks up to him. You will see it with kids in daycare too. The younger ones will want to be like the older ones and therefore will mimic them.

My daughter used to stare at us or pretty much beg for food after she had eaten or something like that and I wouldn't give her any. If she asked nicely for a bite or for something of her own, then we would give her something. Now she always asks or says that she would like something to eat as well.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It's most likely that she is trying to emmulate the person(s) she admires. Annoying- sometimes, but nothing seriouse. I might try to encourage some activites that ONLY the child who is copying can do on there own to give everyone a little break.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My kids do that all the time...and when they do, I will call them by their sibling's name. For example, Christan (6) is a whiner. (Drives me up the wall). When Maddalyn (2) is whining at me, I say "I can't understand you when you're whining Christan." She says "I'm Madda." I tell her "then stop whining like Christan."
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 1:41 AM on Aug. 29, 2010