Anyone else have a child with cleft lip/palate?

I have a two year old son born with a cleft palate, and want to know if there are any other mothers on here who could share some advice on how they go about helping their babies learn to talk, and if they have the same sort of surgery issues. The closest speach therapy is an hour away.

Sedatedred

Asked by Sedatedred at 3:24 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My niece was both with a cleft lip and palate. I am very close to her and she is five years old. My poor sister did not want to drive an hour away for speech therapy either so she decided to try some techniques at home. They helped but not enough. Now my sister is driving an hour to and from speech therapy three times a week to get my niece caught up so she can attend kindergarten next fall.

My step son needs speech therapy three times a week for his autism, his speech therapist comes to his daycare for no cost from the school system. (he is four) They started him in speech therapy when he turned three.

Good luck!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2008