Baby HATES tummy time!

My 3 month old daughter HATES tummy time except when she is asleep on my chest... is this going to be a problem? I try to get her to do some tummy time, but she screams and screams and screams! Should I just let her do it when she wants to, or does anyone have any suggestions? :)

xo_shelby

Asked by xo_shelby at 12:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't stress over it, as she gets older she'll eventually WANT to be on her tummy =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It is normal, I think a lot of babies hate tummy time. My kids did.. She will get used to it.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Most babies hate it. Just have her do it for about 5 minutes a few times a day. Start while she is calm and talk to her or even rub her back while she's on her tummy. It's hard to watch but it is necessary. Good luck!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:30 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My son hated time until he was 8 months old then at 9 months he just got up and crawled
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Thanks, ladies! This is my first, so I wasn't sure. :)
    xo_shelby

Comment by xo_shelby (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• So did mine, helped motivate them to roll =)
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 12:32 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If she can only tolerate a few seconds that is fine! Chest tummy time and especially wearing her in a sing/wrap/mei tai works very well for core muscle development. Wear her and continue the chest time. When she is stronger she'll enjoy solo tummy time more and moe. It will happen seemingly overnight.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Try getting on her level and playing with her to make it more fun. All 3 of mine hated tummy time at first too. Don't push it too far. She will like it as she gets older.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My daughter didnt start liking tummy time until about 4 1/2 months. I was stressed about it at first too but eventually she just started liking it
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I never pushed it and my babies developed just fine. My second actually couldn't have tummy time because of his reflux. It's not really that important. It's good, but they do fine without it.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:55 AM on Aug. 29, 2010