Whats the burning man??

Seen it on myspace events & clicked the link but it doesnt really say what it is. Its kind creepy looking to me ... O_o

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a tradition that takes place out in the Black Rock Desert near Reno, Nevada. To my understanding, the event is a week-long party in the desert, a hippie-style gathering that brings in people from all over and many locals. I've never been, but my understanding is that the event is rather fun.

http://www.burningman.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Man
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 12:47 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• http://www.burningman.com/

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It's NOT the religious event someone debating here recently was trying tosuggest it is; they were saying it was a violation of the establisment clause. It's an art festival/experimental community. How on eArth is it "creepy"?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:02 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have an uncle that goes to burning man. He's not creepy. He is an old hippie, though. It's a kind of rock and roll artsy over the top thing. I have a feeling there are lots of drugs involved!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I should add, my husband describes it as "Woodstock of the desert".

@ stacymomof2... as a former airport security screener in Reno, the airport nearest to Burning Man, I can assure you that you are correct. Many bags post-Burning Man contained drug paraphernalia.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 1:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Ummm...Burning man? WHo is the man? I mean...I know it must ne a symbol, not a real person...but it sounds creepy and if there are drugs involved, that is way creepy. I am just too old fashioned for that crap,I guess. LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Auto, did you seriously ask how is it creepy? lol c'mon have you SEEN it? lmao

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:32 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Weeeell, it's gleeful anarchy ... it is indeed characterized by using drugs with abandon ... and doing all kinds of other things with abandon, too.

A completely bare patch of desert is turned into an intensely-populated "town" for a number of days. Over the years it has become more organized and comfortable - better supplies of water & food, etc., people bring RV's instead of just tents, the area is more carefully laid out to prevent inebriated drivers from endangering campers on the ground ... and so on. It's kind of like living in a movie like Blade Runner or Mad Max ...

Some people swear by the wonderful sense of community, or the sheer special effects production that has become BurningMan ... my mother-in-law & her husband and their friends try to go every year (they're in their 70's).

Personally I am not at all attracted. I find druggies to be hedonistic and have little patience for such people, so I wouldn't go.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Its annoying as hell! I live near there. Its a bunch of morons getting high and running around naked in the desert. They say its art, but how is running around naked art? Yes I've heard that argument. "Its a way to express the free form of their body." Ha. And they say that everything is returned to perfect condition when they leave... Not really. They also like to say its a completely bare patch of desert. I love hearing how its so rural that no one lives out there. Its a bunch of city people, the "few locals" are hippies that moved out here to be "closer" to the site year round. lol yes I'm a little bitter. I just get tired of being overrun by these people every year. They trash our stores and towns. We have to put up private property signs or they will seriously just camp in your front yard. They have no respect for privacy or private property.

Yes I used "They" very broadly.

-purple-

Answer by -purple- at 6:43 AM on Aug. 29, 2010