French maid costume for 12-year old girl?

My husband's ex-wife allowed our 12-year daughter to select a french maid costume for Halloween.

My husband ruled against the costume, and I supported his decision, after we did a Google search for "french maid" and saw that the top five images were smut.

The ex thinks there is nothing wrong with the costume, and that I am just trying to make our 12-year old miserable by helping to veto her bio-mom's choice.

The kids live with us, and only see their bio-mom a couple days a month.

Anyone have an opinion on the propriety of a french maid costume for a little girl? Are we way out of line?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• yep, and i'm with you guys on this one. if she lives with you, then it's YOUR rules. 12 year olds do not need to be wearing that stuff. it portrays a bad image.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think that is VERY inappropriate for any girl under the age of 18. I hate to sound like a prude...but sexual predators looooove that kinda stuff. A 12-year-old should be dressing like a princess or a black cat, not a sexual object.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• NO WAY!!! I worry that little girls are using sexuality to define themselves too much these days. While I do think being comfortable as a sexual being is a healthy characteristic, I think that our culture focuses too much on it. We should see our little girls focusing on their intellect, how they treat people, or their work ethic before they are faced with their sexuality. Keep her a little girl as long as you can! Good decision!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yep. French maid= slutty outfit. NOT appropriate until the girl inside the outfit is ready to be mauled by actual men... In other words, not until age 17-18 at least.

I have never worn slutty Halloween costumes, but it is my favorite holiday. Merry Samhain, fellow pagans...
    BobaFetsHelmet

Answer by BobaFetsHelmet at 3:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• The Catholics say no...

http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com/costumes_you_don't_want.htm
    Anonymous

• If she was 16 the answer wouls still be no. Until she's over 18 and living in her own place..the answer is no. Highly inappropriate
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• ask her to model it and if it is the slutty outfits that french maid outfits are tell her to return it or ground her if she wont she is to young to go out looking like a slut and boys will notice young and older then her if she dresses to revealing

Halloween can be a dangerous time 

kimandjames

Answer by kimandjames at 4:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I would take a look at the costume itself first before making a decision. I have seen several different versions, and yes while some are slutty, some are not and are tasteful. It would depend on how short, revealing, etc.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Jill Stanek says costumes like that are designed by pedophiles.

http://www.jillstanek.com/archives/2007/10/happy_halloween.html
    Anonymous

• Wikipedia says of the french maid costume: "It is now mostly associated with cosplay, sexual roleplaying, and fetishism. Depending on design details, they can be classified as lingerie." No WAY would I let my kid wear that!

Anonymous