World Religion Class?

Would you agree with a world religion class taught in school. One that had a factual overview of the major religions of the world. Not to preach or to teach which is right or wrong. Either as an elective or required class.

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's a great idea. Not required perhaps, but as an elective in high school. The class should cover as many of the world's religions as possible, and give each religion an equal number of pages in the textbook, days discussed in class, and tests given.

The course could cover what each religion believes, the history of the religion, and show how each religion is observed (for example, show how Wiccans cast a circle during spellwork).

As long as Buddhism and Islam got the same coverage as Christianity, I (as a Pagan) would have no problem with it.
    BobaFetsHelmet

Answer by BobaFetsHelmet at 3:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• An elective, yes. Forced? No.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 4:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yes, I wish this was available -- if you could find a truly neutral teacher. I do think a lot of fear stems from sheer ignorance so understanding each faith better could help build tolerance.

And if you're taking suggestions for mandatory school classes in High School - how about some economics classes that focus on budgeting, managing money, explaining loans/interest rates and being responsible consumers? :)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I joined the fight to add it to the curriculumwhile I was in HS...  I think (as I thought then) it should be mandatory!  Just as I feel a cultures class should be.  I believe it would go a long way to help Americans understand each other and live more piecefully!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• As an elective maybe, but I think they need to focus more on preparing them for the real world.
    ajeffery1032

Answer by ajeffery1032 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I definately believe that they should teach a WORLD religions class, its a great way for people to get accustomed with different faiths and cultures out there in the world. And not as an elective, as a requirement. People should learn about the world and not be so close minded!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Our high school has an elective World Religions class.  My daughter is seriously considering taking it next year if she has the room in her schedule. 

She can't decide between that and anthropology.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think it would be a great idea. I think I would make my kids sign up for it.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• As a Pagan myself, I would love for my kids to take something like that. As long as one religion did not get more time than another. And as long as the instructor was not leaning to any one religion, just presenting facts.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2008