For the past few weeks now, i`ve noticed my daughter has been grinding her teeth while she sleeps. it started off as mild and only occassionally but now it happens every night and the grinding has become louder...what can i do to help her stop this? it cant be good for her teeth or her jaw! its hard to listen to!

BeautifulGirl79

Asked by BeautifulGirl79 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yea its really not so good... my brother did that sort of thing.. there was talk of mouth gaurds because he was ruining his permanent teeth :|. i would talk to your doctor maybe? good luck
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• a mouth guard is a good idea but talk to her pedi. and dentist both. I know teeth-grinding is an unrealized response to stress. I have found myself grinding my teeth when I am in stressful situations many times, it's weird (I just all of the sudden feel this tension and pain in my jaw).
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Its a bad night time routine. Its the same as sleeping or walking in your sleep, some people just grind their teeth. (I constantly sleep walk and talk myself). DR and Dentist need to be involved, they will probably give her a mouth guard. Good luck to you!
    sheenathefat

Answer by sheenathefat at 1:01 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Talk to her dentist. She should be fitted for a night guard.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• At this age the usually don't fir for mouth guards because kids teeth are changing so much. I know two of my children grind there teeth and with my son who is 13 we had to get an over the counter mouth guard at CVS. With my daughter who is 8 we have not done anything. It is her baby teeth and the dentist didn't think she was doing to much damage. I would talk to the dentist and see what they say.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:23 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I agree with sleepingbeautee, take her to have a mouth guard fitted.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would take her to the dentist. My daughter did the same thing and they made her a mouth guard and she has TMJ. She is doing alot better now.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 1:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2010