My 3 1/2 year old potty trained daughter has accidents all the time!

My sweet Maddy girl is a "do it myself"er to the extreme. So I've pretty much just ignored the once in a while accidents, but every once in a while it gets really bad (pees in her pants EVERYTIME, or stands in front of the toilet and pees on the floor) When I start to really push it or make a big deal of it she ups the ante. . . oh yeah you guessed it ICK! As a trained early childhood professional I know that there are two things you can never get a kid to do, use the potty and eat. I'm at the end of my rope, and quite frankly tired of all the laundry. Any advice?

sahKids

Asked by sahKids at 1:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What about some sort of reward? Find her "currency" and reward her generously. It sounds like she is almost there and needs a little nudge. You might want to check out super nanny website and Dr. Phil has his potty training advice on his website too. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Sounds like she's not done being potty trained. When we first started, we were putting our kid on the potty every 20 min or so during the day to get them in the habit of using it. Then we would put her on about 20-30 min after they had a significant amount of liquid, like after a meal or snack (& anytime they requested it). We used diapers at night, just in case, although as long as they went to the bathroom right before & after they sleep, it was never an issue. Using the potty before & after baths & before going out anywhere is a good plan too.
    After a while, your kid will get used to holding their pee and letting you know when they need to use the potty. Just be sure to have them sit on it if it's been a while, even if they don't want to, since children can get distracted until the last minute during play times.We use the BabyBjorn potty training seat cover and step stool, and they have worked our great for us.
    Cheers! ;D
    emeraldearth24

Answer by emeraldearth24 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Maybe she gets nervous sometimes
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 7:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Thank you everyone! I am going to try a sticker chart with rewards along the way.
    sahKids

Comment by sahKids (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I feel your pain my girl Kaylee does that also she will be 4 in NOvember so it drives me crazy she stayed potty trained or a month and then just regressed so now I am doing the chart thing and when it gets full I am going to take her to the dollar tree and let her get whatever she wants. But for me it is just the pooping she pees fine without no accidents so I am glad you asked this question good luck :)
    April_5

Answer by April_5 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• if you're still having accidents often, then your child is not potty trained... i would start over.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010