Home Birth vs Hospital Birth?

Did you have a Home Birth or a Hospital Birth?

How do you feel about it? Do you like the choice you made? Will you make the same choice next time?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 1:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like you are weighing your risks~ that is important!!
    I don't know your complications, but you might check in a birth center because that might be a nice option, too.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:12 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I've had 4 hospital births; 1 freestanding birth center birth. Though I never really had a horrible experience at the hospital, I never knew birth could be as beautiful as it truly is when left unhindered..no probing, prodding, IVs, time limits on labor, limits on what you can and can't eat or drink, how long your water can be broken....Yeah, I wish I'd have been at the birth center for every one. I would have enjoyed a home birth as well.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i wouldnt of survived without being in the hospital
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I haven't had either but have been to births at these locations and study about it often.

There is a BIG difference in natural birthing at either location.
    Do you know what kind of experience you prefer?
    Because it can often be much easier to get everything you prefer at home, it can be safer, more private-intimate, home is a wonderful option.
    If there are complications with the pregnancy, mom requires an OB ( surgeon ) to attend her delivery, there are specific reasons why a hospital environment might be better then that location can be good.

Generally, who you hire to attend your delivery (and their philosophy) might have the greatest influence in your care, and the setting might have the next biggest influence in your experience.

Your confidence is very important and we can always talk about that, too....
    But if you were to pick the ideal birthing experience, how would you describe what's perfect for *you* ?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:02 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My first two were Hospital births, after the experience I had with my second son I will never again, pending a true emergency, give birth in a Hospital. My third was a free-standing Birth Center. Any future children will be born at home.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:01 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Wow, Sheena... that's a bit harsh! One can't exactly control nature, and don't you think the loss of a child would be hard enough?

I've had two hospital births... the first I was coerced into getting an epidural and the second was (mostly) natural, but then the nurses gave my baby formula behind my back at the "required out of room" ped visits (different hospitals)... So, unless you have a REALLY good hospital that supports natural birth and breastfeeding... I'd go with the homebirth. Hospital births are really just such a risk... you never know who is going to be caring for you and what they will try to push on you when you are vulnerable! With a midwife, you get to know her and know that she will be there for the birth.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'm studying to be a midwife, and I would love to do home births. Had my hubby agreed, our son would've been a home birth. However, his birth ended up being complicated, and we probably would've ended up at the hospital. I ended up with an emergency c-section, and every intervention under the sun. I'm really hoping for a VBAC, and if everything goes smoothly with the second baby, I'd LOVE to do a home birth with a third baby.
    The choice is very individual, and different people feel more comfortable in one setting than in another. I know I'd feel more comfortable at home, in my surroundings, in my bed, etc. But some people feel more comfortable with birth being a medical event, and knowing that if anything goes wrong, doctors are there to take over. Again, it's a very individual thing.
    If you're trying to decide, you ought to write out what you imagine the perfect birth being like, and seeing what comes from that. cont'd
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:09 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If you have a history of health complications, I assume you're probably better off with a hospital birth.
    There is a third option, however, that you might look into if it's available in your area. Free standing birth centers offer a home-like setting and have nurses and midwives there to take care of you. They're usually a short drive away from the hospital, in case anything does go wrong. Might be worth looking into. Good luck whatever you decide! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:12 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I had a hospital birth, and I would have died had I tried to have my baby at home. I loved it and will do it again. I feel safer with the medical staff and equipment around.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:30 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think if you want to do home birth, its up to you, but you should have a midwife there or some kind of medical team. I also think that if you have a home birth without either, and the baby dies due to something that could have been prevented by a medical team, you're ass should be put in jail with first degree murder charges. My personal opinion. But either are fine, just be safe!
    sheenathefat

Answer by sheenathefat at 1:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2010