Toddler bedwetting with arrival of new baby??

My 2 1/2 year old started bed wetting recently with the arrival of the new baby. How do I get her to psychologicallly adjust? She seems to be doing fine through out the day. She acts up a little but thats all? Any tips? She's been potty trained at least 9 months now.

fefe87

Asked by fefe87 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like your DD is just having a hard time adjusting to a new baby. She is trying to process the fact that she is not the baby anymore. I would suggest making special time to spend with her. Find things for her to do to help with the baby so that she feels like the baby is part of the family and not someone taking her place. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 2:03 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It is probably just because her new sibling is taking up Mom and Dad time. I think she will adjust when she is assured she is just as loved now as she was before the new sibling.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 2:05 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• honestly she is 2 1/2 this may have nothing to do with the new baby, it is very possible that her bladder just isnt ready to hold it all night long. is she having drinks before bed? not using the bathroom before bedtime? As a mom of 3, it sounds like your lil one trained early, many kids who train early will backtrack and that is very normal. Just give her time and be understanding, I wouldnt get upset or make her feel bad about it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:05 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Kids revert sometimes at potty training. it may be that the new baby is a distraction to her and she doesn't think about needing to potty at night. I've been told that kids can some times mimick babies when they are born. Talk to your little one through out the day and reference how proud you are of her being a "big girl". Remind her its ok to be a big kid you still love her just the same (toddlers can mimick baby behavior if they think that is what you adore more.)

I'd also try cutting her off from drinks an hour or two before bed and making her sit on the potty as part of her night time routine. Say PJ's brush your teeth then use the toilet and into bed she goes. Don't be discouraged by her going back a little bit, this is common in kids. Put her back in pull ups before bed and let it be that, she'll go back to eventually not wetting the bed.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010