So, I'm curious.....

Just a lowly stepmom here, with no bios and no plans to have bios, but, if one chooses to do a home birth with a midwife or whoever else helps out with those, does the woman go into a doc for a blood test to determine pregnancy and like, the typical "exams" and stuff? I know, probably odd that I wonder about such things, but hey, I'm weird.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• typically, if a woman chooses a midwife, the midwife will do all prenatal care as long as there aren't any complications. I am not sure who would order the glucose tolerance tests and things like that, but I am pretty sure the midwife would be able to.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:29 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Some get concurrent care with a "medical" practitioner and simply stay home for the birth. Some midwives can order blood tests and U/S... or the parents pay directly out of pocket. Some don't get any tests done at all.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Most Midwives can draw blood and order tests just like an OB. :)
    When I was with my midwife, we were offered all the normal and routine tests.
    I had all my labs drawn right at the Midwives office and went to a radiology lab for the 20 week ultrasound. I also was offered to do the Glucose test which would have been done at a local lab.

Some midwives, if they cannot do all that stuff them selves work with an OB who will order all those tests. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:37 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I was with a midwife at a wonderful birthing center and they did all the testing there and sent it out to a lab just like at a ob office. they also had a women come in every fri to do an ultrasound!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Many midwives partner with a OB.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 12:29 AM on Sep. 2, 2010