My ear hurts badly_what do I do?

My ear hurts in the morning i was in the urgent care, they removed a lot of wax, yet it still hurt, they give me medication and insist that I only do that. I also take tylenol extra-strengths and iboprofen for pain it helps a bit, but not to much. I called emergency to state that my ear hurts badly, they told me just stay home. I cannot sleep and it hurts sometimes really bad, mostly moderately bad. But I cannot sleep or move to much. I also feel panicy because of the pain...;-(

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 2:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Health

• I had something similar happen to me last year. Only my ears were to clean, and there was no wax to keep infection out. I ended up getting a really bad ear infection, and they had me on drops, and vicodin for 2 weeks. You might want to go to another urgent care. I couldn't sleep because of the pain either, and I finally went in. I found out that my ear drum was about ready to burst because of the infection being so bad. That sounds like what might be happening to you. I think you should seek a second opinion. Doesn't sound like this one cares to much what happens to your ears. 

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 2:41 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• That sucks. The last earache I had I wanted to die. I thought I had the worst ear infection ever. Turns out I had a sinus infection that was putting pressure on my inner ear (or something like that). I was on ibuprofen and decongestants but it took a couple weeks to clear it up enough that my ear wasn't hurting. I could barely move the pain was so bad. I had no other symptoms of a sinus infection either. It was really weird.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:45 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I know this sounds crazy but, when my daughter was little she had a REALLY bad earache and I had already taken her to the doc--same as you. This older lady told me to have someone blow smoke (yes, ciggarette smoke) in her ear. I thought she was crazy, But my daughter was in such bad pain and I was desperate so I tried it. It helped!! She was able to go right to sleep after that and by the next day the antibiotics were working. Now I always do that. It works, It wont take all the pain away but it will majorly help.
    In addition to tylenol you can take 800mg. of Ibupofin (Motrin or Advil) because it will help with the infamation. You can take this in addition to the tylenol because it is a different kind of medication. Take the ibuprofin then the tylenol 2 hours apart.
    And finally, you can also blow a blow dryer CAREFULLY in your ear. IT MUST BE ON LOW AND COOL SETTINGS from about 6-8 inches away. This will help dry up the fluid
    La_t_da_mom

Answer by La_t_da_mom at 2:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have f----g health insurance that covers only this one emergency room. My daughter and husband sleeping peacefully and i am hurt and scared...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 2:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• P.S.(I ran out of words) I am a 3rd year nursing student and I know your are not supposed to do this but can you call someone who might give you some pain meds? But if it is not noticeably improved after being on antibiotics for 24 hours, you HAVE to go back to the ER, the infection you have may be resistant to the antibiotics you have.
    La_t_da_mom

Answer by La_t_da_mom at 2:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My children got ear infections all the time. Once they started antibiotics and Tylenol they felt better. I used a warm facecloth, one that I wet and microwaved to warm it up, I placed that over their ear and it relieved some of the pain. I would get some of those ear pain drops (a prescription medication).

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 2:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Thanks guys, yes, I put those of my daughter's (the benzocaine drops) it does not help. They did not give me antibiotic, just wax remover liquid. They could not remove all the wax...behind the ear become red. I call again and just 'Ma'am, stay calm, visit your doctor on Monday, use the medicine you have. You will be fine...'

I don't have either blow dry or cigarets...;-(.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:23 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I've used garlic oil- you can get it at the health food store (make it yourself for future use with four cloves minced fresh garlic in 1/4 C olive oil- let stand one-four days, then strain out the garlic). Put a couple drops in your ear twice a day for ear infection. The olive oil helps the membranes absorb the extra fluid causing pain, garlic is a natural antibiotic (those antibiotics the doc gives you kills the good bacteria, which leads to recurrent earaches!). It works!
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 8:52 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• This is another wives tale but I've used it, a little bit of cooking oil. It would at least help until you could get back in to get it checked. Also when your sleeping try to sleep with your pillows slanted up a little , not flat, also you can put a heating pad on it. Maybe the meds need to kick in. I've used all these methods w/my GR-son when he's here, and it did get him thru the night. Hope you feel better.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 29, 2010