whats the best age to potty train?

my son will be 2 next month

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When child shows signs. You can't make them do it, you can only encourage it. Around 2-2.5 is typical to begin. My dd started at 18 months because she was interested then lost interest, then gained it again, then lost it again. Right now she's on a mini break from the potty-training because there are so many disruptions in her life. Her dadddy started a new job last week and has a totally different schedule, her 5 yr old bro started kindergareden 3 weeks ago and is gone most of the day, she isn't getting to go to her randparent's house as much as she's used to in the past or would like to, and her mommy is possibly going to be hired this Mon for a new job. So I'm not pressuring her to do anything right now!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:05 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We started with DD at like 23 months I think, but we didn't get serious about it till she was 27 months and then she got it really fast. She's not quite 2 1/2 now and 100% potty trained night and day.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:06 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• When you know that child can understand what is expected. I waited untill my DD was 2.5 the first day was pretty rough but she got it and only had a few accidents the first week. After that she was 100% potty trained (nighttime too).
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 3:19 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• thx my son is almost 2 and is already telling me he when he has to potty without anyone teaching him but some ppl are so old fashion that they said im starting too early! hes got the peepee down but the poopy not so much he neva makes it on time! still a struggle
    Aricelli E.

Answer by Aricelli E. at 3:34 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i think 2 is a good age..but every kid is different
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Every kid is different, like alexis said. I'd just keep an eye on him, and watch for signs of interest or that he's ready. They say boys can take longer than girls, I've heard...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• everykid is different, but I have found that the majority of kids show many signs of being ready just before or just after turning two. this is also a great time because they are so curious about the potty. Iworked in a daycare in a potty training room for years, so this is something I observed for a long time. Just watch for when he tells you he has gone, if he says he has pooped or peed in the diaper. or if he starts to feel uncomfortable in a dirty diaper. you can always grab a potty chair and just start introducing him to it and see how it goes!! its worth a shot!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:19 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think the best age is around 2 - 3. At any given point during that year when the child starts showing signs on interest would be when you start .

With your son turning 2 I'd start showing him what the potty is and that big kids use the potty instead of pampers.Give him the concept and let him pick it up from there. Don't force him, or else he might refuse to even try at all.

My son took a long time to potty train, everyone told me boys are harder then girls and it's true. My son wouldn't pee on the toilet if I had him sit on it using one of those training devices. I had to have him stand and it worked wonders (Just some thoughts for the future in case :) )
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• you need to watch for signs of wanting to go, dont force your child. My daughter(now 2 1/2) wanted to learn at about 20 months, however her bladder was not ready yet, and although she tried she was peeing every 5 minutes or so uncontrollably. Also when you do start to train limit liquids, if you give too much it will make it hard for them and they will always be going(we had that problem too) she has been potty trained since about 25 months
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• when their ready
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010