Albuterol dosage?

I took my son into immediate care Friday. They weren't for sure if he had pneumonia or if it was just a viral cold. Well his saliva is incredibly thick now and he can't stop coughing...he was coughing so hard earlier today that I thought he was going to throw up :( I was just wondering if the dosage of albuterol goes up at a certain age? He had pneumonia when he was 13 months old now he is 20 months. We still have albuterol left from when he had it back then...should I take him back in to dr for them to prescribe him more albuterol? He is already on antibiotics cuz dr wasn't sure what it was he had.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 3:40 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No it doesn't u only give them one my son is on it and been on it 4 almost 2 years. So if he is breathing hard and bad give it 2 him if nothing change the off 2 the er I hope I was some help, anf I hope he feel better. Good luck
    kadmomma

Answer by kadmomma at 4:05 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Is he using albuterol in a nebulizer? That's what was needed when my asthmatic kids were that age, since they can't time there inhalation rright with an inhaler. Albuterol comes in a couple dosages. Talk to a respiratory doctor!

Our asthma specialist (I and six of my seven kids are all asthmatic) says any cough that lasts more than a week has an asthma component. My kids used to get chronic bronchitis or pneumonia whenever they got a cold. Now that we use albuterol when the cough starts, it keeps the airways open enough to avoid those complications. Needing regular albuterol use means they need to be a preventive steroid inhaler full-time- that is a safer alternative to the oral steroid they give in the ER or urgent care when they come in with those bad coughs.
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 8:45 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My son went through a similar thing around 9 months old, he was put on an alberutol nebulizer every 4 hours until his symptoms subsided, Honestly, I would at least CALL a doctor or nurse aid to make sure and if they tell you he needs to be seen again then take him in.
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The dosage should be the same. My son is 2.5 and has asthma so he uses a nebulizer. If you have the nebulizer and the prepackaged dosage you can do 1 treatment every 4 hours as needed. If it's the inhaler, it's 2 puffs every 4-6 hours as needed. I have an adapter for the inhaler because you can't really time the inhalation so it goes over his mouth and the medicine puffs through it. You should contact your doctor just to be sure or take him to the ER if it gets worse, just to make sure he's getting enough oxygen in his blood.
    The3Vs

Answer by The3Vs at 6:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010