Are you a foster family? How many children have you fostered? adopted?

blessedwithree

Asked by blessedwithree at 4:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Adoption

• I had 35 placements...adopted # 14 and #34....had 6 newborns a year some years (no primate should mother that hard)...I did OFR medically fragile. Mostly poly drug exposed, heart conditions, micro preemies, Gtubes.

I hold at 3 kids and educating them is the hardest part....I don't miss the drama, the coming and going of kids on my kids, nursing bio moms who smell of alcohol and don't need to be tested to nurse (makes for a sleep newborn, but please...)

But I do miss the social workers (some of the hardest working people on the planet..MD's have is so sweet)~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'm not a foster parent, but I was a foster child. Why? do you need advice?
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 4:39 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'm an adoptive parent but not through foster care...my dd was adopted internationally. There are a ton of a-moms here that have adopted foster children that may post though!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We are foster/adoptive parents licensed a few years ago. We have fostered 3 children, adopted one of them, had an emergency placement (2 days), and several for respite care. There are groups here for foster/adoptive families here on CM and you can gain a ton of info and wisdom on fostering and adopting from foster care.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:55 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We have been foster parents at 2 different times the first time which was about 8 years ago we fostered 3 and the last one still spends weekends with us. This time we have been fostering for about 2 years and have fostered 3, we are in the process of adopting one, one went home, and we have the other one. So at the moment we have 2 foster children.
    tmmom2

Answer by tmmom2 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I was a foster child as well
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We are currently fostering two children (babies really). We have fostered before and although I enjoyed the time I was able to spend with the children I didn't get too attached, I knew they would go eventually. Buuuut this time, we haven't even had them for a week yet, and I am totally going to be heartbroken when they leave. :( I am not sure where these feelings came from! We had/have no plans of adopting anymore children, but maybe that's about to change. Advice from any current or previous foster moms would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you ~
    blessedwithree

Comment by blessedwithree (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I say go with your gut. If you want to adopt and it will be a good fit for your family then go for it.
    We are fost/adopt and are currently wrapping up our adoption with our one and only placement, a baby girl.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We fostered our first, fostered and were blessed to adopt our second, fostered our third, and were adoptions only on our fourth (foster until adoption finalized). So technically 4 fosters? Or 3 if you don't count the child that was placed strictly for adoptions.
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 4:07 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, we have been Foster Parents for 2 years. In that time, we have had 18 kids in and out of our home. That is a lot of Children but most of them have been big sibling sets. It has been hard to watch them go. However, the last three we had, we got really attached to. We have had to choose to take a break since they left because it has been so hard on us and our own Children to get over having them for a year and then them returnign home. It wouldn't be so bad if they had gone to a good situation and we would have been able to keep int ouch but it didn't happen like that :-(

I think the best we can hope for as Foster Parents is to form some kind of relationship with the Birth Family so that if the children return home we sitll have a way to stay in contact and know that they are okay. That is much easier than having your heart ripped out and not knowing how they are. We have had it turn out both ways.

Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010