Agree or disagree?

I've heard this type of quote in numerous interviews & political discussions. Tell me if you agree or disagree:

"Today's government is expected to do more than our forefathers ever intended it to do."

KDW211

Asked by KDW211 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely agree. The intention of our government was to be pretty much hands off, so that people could simply live their lives. Now government is HUGE and are expected to take care of people in ways our forefathers would have never expected nor supported.
    cait030507

Answer by cait030507 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Disagree. Today's government screwed up and gave themselves extra work to fix.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 4:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Disagree.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 4:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Agree. I don't think the forefathers had any sort of clue as to how interconnected the world would be by now. I don't think they set the system up for everything to be this big...that's probably one reason the economy is failing.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• caitx - do you feel that the Constitution needs to be "updated"? no snark intended.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 4:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Five ~ What constitution? Aren't most of our rights taken away as it is already by our wonderful government? The same rights we put them in office to protect?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 4:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Oh, sing it sister! But my point was is that I read this in another forum today and someone said something similar to caitx but then said that we needed to do away with the constitution that it is outdated - and I was dumbfounded.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 4:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think the Constitution is a guide line. How could our forfathers know all the social issues our country would address? Also, think of the size of the country at the time.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• agree
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Five ~ I can not believe that someone actually said that. I am speechless..... for once.

jcsscfam5 ~ You seriously think our constitution should be looked at like a guideline?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 4:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2008