Convertible Car Seats

From your experience, what is the best convertible car seat out there? Safety, comfort, recline, no recline, space saver, etc...
And when (what weight/age) did your child start using one?
And were did you buy it for the best price?

Ibulili

Asked by Ibulili at 6:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they outgrow em so fast, I just bought the safest one I could afford.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:11 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have a britax marathon and a graco myride 65. The britax is smaller than the graco and they both have very good ratings. Graco I put my 3 month old in and the britax I think my older DD was 9 months. I would have bought a graco for my first DD had I known anything about it. Plus the graco has a newborn insert so you can use it from birth on. Good luck on finding a good carseat for your little one.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 7:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The above two are great. radian sunshine kids is great too and has a narrower fit and is a good choice for multiple seat needs.
    I use the safety 1st true fit. easy adjust and fits my small saturn. used from birth. rear faces to 35lbs (recent models rf to 40lbs so get those).

refer to this stir articles car seat rules w/ link on how to buy
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Graco Nautalis 3-1. I have one for both of my kids. I put my kids into them when they hit the 20 lb weight requirement to face forward. It was a different age for both of them. They both recline. They're sturdy and well built. And they really make me feel like my kids are protected. Both of my kids like them, especially the cup holder.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:09 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• fyi the law has not caught up with the newest guidelines to Rear face as long as possible to the limit of the seat. the newest bare minimum is 2 years 30lbs, longer is better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA&feature=related
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think it depends on the childs age and weight. Some of the convertibles can not be used until age 2 I think it is and if you are using them from birth some of them don't fit smaller newborns. There are a lot of great seats out there it just depends on your vehicle, how long you want to rear face, how well you are able to install the seat in your car and how your child fits into it.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I brought my first home from the hospital in a Britax convertible, but he was over 9 lbs at birth. My next two were preemies and I had them in an infant seat until they were about 8 pounds. My DD is currently in a Britax Marathon and I love it. The thing that I like about the Britax is the rear facing tether. You can get them in so snug they don't budge and the back can't "rebound". I don't know if any others have the rear facing tether. I would not buy anything that maxes out at less than 65 lbs for the 5 pt harness. Knowing that baby will fit in it for a good 5 years makes it worth paying a bit more.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The Graco Nautilus a PP mentioned is NOT a convertible carseat its a combination carseat, it is a FFing only seat and does NOT rearface, convertibles RF. A child must be both 1 AND 20lbs to FF and use the Graco Nautilus.

OK that being said, I love both the Truefit premier and the MOmentum 65, both awesome seats. I have 2 journals about carseats..check them out, they have pics and info and everything!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010