Was Jesus the Messiah the Jews spoke of?

The Messiah will fulfill the messianic prophecies of the Prophets Isaiah and Ezekiel. According to Isaiah, the Messiah will be a paternal descendant of King David via King Solomon. He is expected to return the Jews to their homeland and rebuild the Temple, reign as King, and usher in an era of peace and understanding where "the knowledge of God" fills the earth, leading the nations to "end up recognizing the wrongs they did Israel Ezekiel states the Messiah will redeem the Jews.

Jesus lived while the Second Temple was standing, and not while the Jews were exiled. He never reigned as King, and there was no subsequent era of peace or great knowledge. Jesus died without completing or even accomplishing part of any of the messianic tasks, instead promising a second coming. Rather than being redeemed, the Jews were subsequently exiled from Israel.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No, I do not believe Jesus fulfilled the "requirements" to be the Messiah according to Jewish prophecy. He fulfills Christian interpretations of Hebrew/Jewish prophecy, but not the Jewish interpretations. I always felt when it came to the Hebrew scriptures the Jewish interpretations must be more accurate than Christian ones, seeing as they wrote them and they were theirs originally.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 1:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Mal 1:11) For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.

Romans explains further:
    (Rom 11:11) I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

Jesus did not fulfill all the prophesies of the Messiah because he was rejected of the Jews. He is now fulfilling the time of the Gentiles. I thank God for this! In fact, I’m dancing a little jig of rejoicing right now because God loves me so much! You see, I am also a Jew. Notice the Bible:
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 11:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Jesus will return to earth one day. He will establish his Jewish Kingdom. My sad fear is, Jews who have rejected him will not be a part of that wonderful kingdom. They will see a “king” come and will accept him, but will be sorely disappointed. That “king” will be the anti Christ. He will deceive the whole world. Please accept Jesus as your Messiah. Jehovah God has not forsaken or forgotten you. He has not failed to keep his promise. Get to know Jesus and you will see Jehovah fulfill his promise in your heart ;-)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 11:37 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Jesus was born just before the “scepter departed” from Judah as was prophesied by Jacob concerning his son Judah. The Jews had lost their ability to adjudicate judgment and yet…. No Messiah. Unknown to most of Israel at the time was a little baby lying in a manger. King of kings and Lord of lords.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 11:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Mat 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
    Mat 12:23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
    Mat 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

The Jews thanked him by accusing him of doing this by the power of Satan. Then Jesus gave this offer and warning:
    missionarywifey

• It is also a prophecy that the Jews would not believe in Him.

Isaiah 53:1
    Isaiah 53:8
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• There are Jews that reject him completely, Jews that believe he was a great teacher or even prophet, and then there are "Jews for Jesus", so there isn't one unified stance on him within all Judaism. But traditionally he was rejected and scorned by the Jews of his time. The ones who didn't ended up being Christians. Yes, Christianity started as a movement within Judaism, but they ended up being cast out and had to stand on their own.

I have read, too, that Romans, even, saw Christians as traitors to their parent belief, those who turned their backs on the traditions and beliefs of their peoples.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Mat 12:27) And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

(Mat 12:28) But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Indeed, the kingdom of God had come to the Jews, and they rejected Him.
    All is not lost though. In fact, God knew his people would reject the Messiah and used this to call many Gentiles. This was always God’s plan from the beginning because he knew ahead of time what decision the Jews would make. Notice this:
    missionarywifey

• Rom 2:28) For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

(Rom 2:29) But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

By faith in Jesus Christ, I have found forgiveness of sins and become joint heirs with Jesus. I am become a child of Abraham. Thus has the prophecy been fulfilled:
    (Gen 15:5) And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
    missionarywifey

• by the way, there are MANY Jews that believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah. Not all Jews believe He is not. I suggest you look at some of their websites to see what they have to say and why they believe that Jesus is the Messiah. Don't just focus on the ones that don't believe it. Get both sides of the debate ;-)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 2:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010