Are you planning on sending your preschooler to VPK?

or will you just straight into Kindergarten

momoflilangel

Asked by momoflilangel at 7:50 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We are looking into Preschool. Might just homeschool it though
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Pardon me not knowing, but what is VPK? ?-pre-k
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 8:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We homeschooled for preschool, spent a lot of time at the local library and went to the park for interation with other kids.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:19 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• VPK-Voluntary Pre Kindergarten
    momoflilangel

Comment by momoflilangel (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My 4yo went to preschool last year. She started at 3 1/2 (2 days a week/2 hours each day) only because she really, really wanted to go. She begged to go to school. We've since moved and can't afford preschool (heck we can't even afford food) so she won't go this year. She'll start kindergarten next year. Academically she's already at the same point my other kids were when they started kindergarten. She's actually ahead in some areas compared to my other kids (who started when they were 5 or almost 6 depending on where their birthdays fell).
    My older 2 girls did the same preschool she did (one at 4 and the other for 1/2 a year when she was 5). My son never went to preschool. His first day of school was in kindergarten.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Yes, my 4 YO starts a 3 day a week pre school program next week. She's super excited, as am I. :) I am glad I get to stay home this school year to have her in such a program over daycare. It will feel more like school to her, and hopefully prepare her even better for K next year. I really hope she makes more friends. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It really depends on the childs progress and how much they know. My son just started 4K and had to be tested in order to get in.
    I think its your chose, but if he/she doesn't attend a daycare, it would be good got them to interact w/ other kids. When my daughter was 3 she went to daycare a this one had kinda of pre-school format , so that gave her an advantage.
    Winerygirl

Answer by Winerygirl at 7:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Neither for us. Our kids learn at home. All our kids are still to young for us to have to worry about formal paperwork yet, but we still do regular lessons (like hand made worksheets) with them. Of course they also learn through everyday activities and conversations.
    Our oldest (4 yrs) is currently learning kindergarten level material. I am a sahm, so we have been able to start our lessons as soon as the children show enough interest and patience to learn something. Home learning has given us the freedom to adapt the lessons and teaching methods to each of our children.

As far as socialization goes, we have done playdates, swim lessons, toddler gym classes, and storytime sessions at the local library. The kids also learn how to interact with people of all ages, not just peers. They receive interaction, but have a more realistic picture than children in public schools, where all adults are authority figures and kids are peers
    emeraldearth24

Answer by emeraldearth24 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my girls will go to K3 and K4 before regular school
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010