How do you ask for help? adult content

I have always been the giver and now I have come to a point in my life that I need to ask for help. I need help painting, clearing out closets, fixing my list of honey do's, etc. So, should I just call and ask or should I send a letter requesting help? My children are not nearby, so they cannot help and I have no other family members close by. So I would have to ask my friends at Church.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 8:47 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I definitely think a 1 on 1 conversation with someone at church is the way to go. You have to say something, otherwise they won't know that you need help. What a great opportunity for you to either have a little get together among old and maybe some new friends. Or, for you to get to know some of the youth at your church and help them learn what a sense of accomplishment is when helping someone who really needs it and is appreciative. Turn it into a fun thing and say that you want them to bring some of their favorite music, that you want to understand our popular culture. Trust me, you won't understand any of the lyrics, and it will sound like nothing but ruckus! Then, play some of YOUR favorite music for them. The only rule is that they have to listen to your music all the way through and you have to listen to theirs all the way through. If you have hearing aides, this is a good time to turn them down. HAHA
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Talk to the people you are closest to. My mom's neighbor across the street lives alone these days. Her hubby died twenty years ago and all of her children have passed away, but one and she lives in Florida. But through her church she has a whole list of peeps to call when she needs help doing things. She also has her neighbors who have all lived there for more than 40 years. They help each other out all the time! Don't be afraid to ask.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Talk with your pastor/Priest at church. He will be able to say something during church service or help you orginize some sort of meeting with the congregation. You could make it a cookout to thank everyone for helping out as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would ask the friends at church, person to person. I think people in general like to help, but if they don't know, they can't.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think it is ok to ask a friend, church member or neighbor for help sometimes but not be bothersome about it. Just ask if they could do a certain task if they had free time and then offer to do something nice for them in exchange if you are not able to pay someone to do the job. Bake them some cookies offer to run an errand for them ect.

nanny29

Answer by nanny29 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Do your children know you need help? We used to go to my inlaws for the weekends and have a project. It might be painting or exactly some of the things you mention. We still do this when we visit my MIL and she has her list of things that need to be done.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• check with your children and if your church are true friends then they wouldnt hesitate to help you!!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• In maryland we have a non-profit called Partners In Care and they do lawn care and home maintenance for those who are unable to go it all themselves.

See if there is an organization in your area that can help you out. I am not sure if Partners in Care is "national" but there may be a link from their site.

http://www.partnersincare.org/
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't know if you are open to having teens help you out, but this sounds like a great opportunity for the youth at your church. I know that our youth kids have helped out some of the older members of the church with things like yard work, painting, etc., but it's often uncomfortable for them to ask someone if they need help since sometimes people are offended by this. Talk with your church's youth minister, he or she knows the kids and who would be a good fit for what you need.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:03 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My children do not live close by. I have no family within 1500 miles. I had thought about asking my Pastor and someone from The Salvation Army, as well as someone from the Air Force base here in town. Some of the classes that go through the different levels of military education sometimes take on a charitable work as part of their education. One thing I did learn while in the Air Force, is that we always help a fellow airman and any Vet who needed help. I guess I just need to make some phone calls. I know it sounds foolish that I do not like to ask for help. I have always been on the other side. I have to swallow my humble pie and ask for help. Thanks all. I will keep you posted.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Aug. 29, 2010