Gay marriage legal in Connecticut! What do you think?

Personally, I think it's fantastic, being that I view marriage as a societal institution rather than a religious one. But I know that lots of people feel differently. So, if you are oppsed to gay marriage, would you instead consider supporting civil unions, similar to the law in Vermont?

BlueFrogMama

Asked by BlueFrogMama at 4:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I think "marriage" should be something left up to religion. I think "union" should be the legal term for all.

I support marriages or unions for all adults, regardless of sexual orientation.
    Imaginaryfriend

Answer by Imaginaryfriend at 4:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think marriage is 1 man and 1 woman. If homosexuals want to do civil unions, that's fine. I do think that they should be allowed to be at their significant other's bedside in the hospital and stuff like that though. That's just respecting them and their wishes as human beings.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 4:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I am definitely in favor of marriage - whether it be between two heterosexual people or two gay people. I believe NO ONE has the right to dictate who can marry. It's not a religious union, but a partnership of two people who love each other. It's not hurting those who don't believe in it, so I don't know why people are against it.

P.S. Be prepared for criticism and judgement from the ones who disagree. I posted a post right after California accepted it, and got several opposing comments. But, on the other hand, most people seem to be for it.
    Ginny19

Answer by Ginny19 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I'm for it.

I do kinda agree with Imaginaryfriend's thinking of the terminology.

If marriage had anything to do with what the bible says like people are making it out to be, then would Jews and Pagans be allowed to get married?

to me Marriage is just a piece of paper that allows you some benefits. I don't think it matters who you love, you should be allowed those same rights.
    Anonymous

• I think marriage should be for everyone, not just the church...to say that only people who go to church can get married is simply asinine!!

Anonymous

• i think it rocks and hope all the other states follow suit. I think they should have the same rights as the rest of us. what they do in their bedroom in none of my business....just like what i do is nobody elses business...
    ldylancer03

Answer by ldylancer03 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• What a happy day in Connecticut, I'm thrilled for all of the couples who have overcome the discrimination and won the right to marry whoever they love. This is fantastic news!
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 5:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• imaginary friend - As an atheist, my husband and I did not get married in a church and god was not mentioned at all. Do you think we are united because we had a secular ceremony?

Way to go Connecticut!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Excellent point, jcsscfam5. This is paprt of why I view it as a societal issue rather than a religious issue. Yes, many religions have rules about marriage. But marriage is also governed by law, and marriage laws do not take religion into account. So when it comes to gay marriage, why should religion suddenly have a voice in law-making?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I agree with Rylee:-)
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008