Should I confront my primary care doctor? adult content

I have been going to the same primary care doctor for years and with his increased patient load, he has hired several PA's and even though I ask to see the doctor, I always get pawned off on a PA. I made an appointment to see him next week, I asked specifically for a time to meet with him. I want to find out if he no longer wants to have me as a patient, or what is going on. Do you think this is a fair question to ask?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 10:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Health

• No, if you specifically ask to see him, you should be able to see him. I asked for my DR. once and I got my Dr. Your paying the same amt of $ so he shd give you that req. it's is very reasonable IMO.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Generally... when a practice is full... the dr sees only the patients with serious health issues and less serious health issues are seen by the PA. And for ear infections, bronchitis, etc... I am fine seeing a PA. I generally only my primary care doctor for my (bi)annual physical, and it will be an indepth appointment with a large checklist of stuff we go over to see if anything noteworthy has changed from last year to this year. My hubs sees her too and she picked up on sleep apnea when we had no idea. He didn't snore at all, but by the checklist she caught it. We are both seeping soo much better now.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would not initially confront the doctor. I would initially ask the front office staff. There may be a reason.
    I actually like my PA better than the doctor, I think he's smarter and he seems to keep up on things better.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The same is true at our peds office too. Except my kiddos always see the ped because one has asthma and the other has a genetic condition
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You can switch doctors at any time. It has nothing to do with open enrollment. Open enrollment is when you add to or delete your insurance coverage.

If you doctor didn't want you as a patient anymore, they would have sent you a letter telling you so. Instead of confronting him, you should go with a list of questions to ask him about the PAs. The more information you have, the better you'll feel.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• it may not be the doctor's fault- your insurance may prefer the cheaper rates of the PA. Also the office staff tends to set these things up.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Yes you should nothing wrong with that question
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My Dr. has a PA which I like alot. But when I call to make an appt, I specify which Dr's sched I get put on. It's usually quicker/easier to see the PA. So yes, if you specified the DR ONLY, & got the PA , insist that you will wait to see the Dr as you sched to do so. Then make your decision about switching after you speak w/ him. You may want to start asking around w/ your friends/co-workers about their Dr.s in case you have to make the switch. That's a tough move when you've been w/ the same Dr for so long. (Side note: count on spending a small fortune for copies of your records if you do change Dr.s!) -The really do get ya comin & goin!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I prefer my doctors PA over the doctor. I get more time with them, I am not rushed and they are easier to get an appointment with. Like someone else said, it isn't always the doctor saying to make appt with the PA, it could be the insurance. Seeing a PA is cheaper than seeing a doctor. But, if you ask to see the doctor, then that is who you should be seeing. If its for routine things, I would stick with the PA. I even have my yearly physical with the PA. For recurring things or major things I INSIST on seeing the doctor. Before you decide to switch doctors contact your insurance and see if you can do so outside of the open enrollment period.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would not be upset about seeing a PA. If there is something they believe should be discussed with your Doctor,they will send you to him but I like seeing the PA in our office because she will take time and llisten. They will do a better job than the Doctor in some situations. I wonder why you are so upset????
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 29, 2010