How do you dispose of expired medication? adult content

I was going through my medications and some of them have past their expiration date. How do you dispose of them? I have been peeling off the labels so if someone gets the empty bottle, they will not try to refill it. I have dumped all the pills into a large Ziploc bag. I was contemplating taking it to my pharmacy guy to trash. I don't want to clog up my garbage disposal, or put it in the garbage that someone could get into. Help.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 10:37 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Health

• Take them to your pharmacy. Most of them have a medication disposal service where they'll send them off to be incinerated.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would have left them in the original bottles and took them to the pharmacy. DO NOT flush them, some meds are absorbed in the water supply. Not sure what you can do know, because if you are pulled over and they find a ziploc bag of pills on you, you could get in a lot of trouble. You could fill the bag with used coffee grounds and other foodwaste and throw in the garbage.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• take them to the pharmacy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I go through our medicine cabinets every once in a while and get rid of expired meds. I keep them in the original container and throw them directly in the trash.

I'm not sure pharmacy's have a special trash disposal for pills. You'd want to call them and the local hospital first before taking them anywhere.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Don't put them down the drain. Contaminates the water supply. I just peel off the labels and throw the bottles in the trash. Better in a landfill than in our water.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• right DO NOT FLUSH THEM ........we dn't want to add to the chemicals that people have already flushed down the toilet. That scares me.I would go to the drug store that fills your prescriptions and ask them what they would advise.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Read the following from that website.  There are several options.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• take them to the pharmacy.
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 11:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Depending what they are I don't get rid of them just because they are expired. That expiration date simply means the meds are past the point where they are at full strength and they will now be weaker than they should be. But for things like pain pills, even past that prime they are better than Tylenol on pain... Beyond that I can't think of any meds I've ever had past that ex. date. But depending on what it was I would most likely just do the same thing - expect them to be weaker, but keep them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I black out the name and prescription and put the pills in a bag then toss into the dump. I don't think we have a pharmacy that will dispose of them, but will ask next time I'm there.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 11:06 AM on Aug. 29, 2010