Does anyone else's dog bite their nails?

My older dog started doing this about a year ago. His nails are black so they are hard to trim because we are scared to go to far. I've never seen a dog do this before.

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Oh, I'll add that our dog is a husky/shepherd mix, and her nails are black, too, so I know what you mean!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Yes, my Zbee did that. I'm like you and afraid to hurt her, but take her to get them done, but in between she would start biting them. She was a chi-terrier mix. My furbie went to rainbow bridge last Feb 8th and I still cry for her. She was 12.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Mine does, actually. She'll be two at the end of the year, and she's always bitten her nails. She won't let us near near her with a trimmer or filer. And its not like her nails are really long or anything, she just bites them... And she has plenty to chew on, so I don't get it either, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• my cat does more than my dog does, but i have noticed my boxer doing it at times. he has a mix, some of his nails are black and some are regular/clear or whatever you call them. i am way to nervous to cut them on my own. especially my cat because she totally won't cooperate for that.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:00 AM on Aug. 29, 2010