I need a good salsa recipe and pointers on canning it...

Hi ladies. I want to make use of the last of the tomatoes in my garden by making some salsa. I'm looking for a tasty recipe to make and was also thinking of canning some salsa...which I've never done either. What do I need to know before I start this task?
Thanks!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 10:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Oooooh, canning salsa is fun. You have to peel the tomatoes. Which means you have to put them in the sink and pour BOILING water over them. This blanches them so they peel easiest. Then dice them and stick them in a pot. Then roast some jalepeno peppers and dice them and stick them in the pot. Then dice bell peppers, onions, and whatever else that you want to put into the mix. Cook until it's really hot. Then you have to put your jars into water, top side down. Allow them to boil for a few minutes. Then for the messy part. Put the jars on the counter and get a funnel and ladle the salsa into the jars. Set them aside and let them cool until the tops pop. That's about it. Oh, it's a good idea to put the flat tops into the boiling water with the jars, because then you don't have to wait for them to heat up. Then put rings around the flat tops and it's all good.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 11:11 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Oh, and if the tops don't pop after about 2 hours, you have to reheat the salsa and start over. If the tops don't pop, it allows bacteria to get into the jars and that's BAD.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 11:13 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Oh, you can get rings, tops and jars at your local grocery store in their canning isle. that's the best place to look
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 11:14 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• best bet? google what you want and get answers there.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010