Are there any 40 to 50ish women going back to school?What are you going to major in?

I started back in the spring.I took the summer off & I go back for the fall semester on Sept.20th.I can't wait I have been very,very bored.I'm taking my pre-college classes right now.But I'm going to school to become a Alcohol & Drug Counselor.

bvannkissy

Asked by bvannkissy at 11:00 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in

• I just finished a year-long Licensed Practical Nursing course, graduating with honors a few weeks ago. I'm going to be 41 in November. Eventually, I'll go back for my BSN and MA, but I'm really not sure when since two days after I graduated, I found out that I'm pregnant again.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:03 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'll be 40 to 50ish by the time I graduate (oh that hurt). Right now I'm studying Informatics w/ a focus on New Media. My original plans beyond that may change, since I'm finding some areas of it more interesting than I thought I would, so I may end up specializing more than originally intended.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:29 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'm 38 and want to go back in the winter. I think I want to go for Occupational Therapy.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• 48~I have BA from light years ago...did all the prerec's for RN AA program (have 4 semesters left and a two year wait list)

and now am thinking about the new MA program in Autism...online and doing the classroom work here~
    http://www.umassonline.net/degrees/Online-Degree-Masters-Behavioral-Autism.cfm

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:40 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• now I am really excited about the field of biomedical informatics

been watching Stanford using this new collection of data to help with kidney transplant....looking at your genes to see which anti rejection meds to try first based on your body~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:47 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• sorry, cut and paste error this is what stanford is up to with bioinformatics
    http://bmi.stanford.edu/
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Wow! I'm really impressed.Good job ladies! : )
    bvannkissy

Comment by bvannkissy (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'm going back next year when my son starts. We will be attending the Community College that is literally in our backyard. I withdrew from classes 17 years ago when I was preggers with him. My youngest is in K this year so next year I will have a bigger part of the day available. While I only need a few courses to finish my Associates Degree in Business, I am going to take the Certification Program for Medical Administration and Billing so that I can go to work at one of the half a dozen hospitals near me. I'm hoping to get a Pell Grant to cover a majority of the costs.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Oh, I'll be 45...
    WoodWitch

• I was 40 when I returned to college. I transferred my Associates in Accounting to a 4 year school. I took as many of the gen ed classes that I could for my Bachelors in Accounting along with some accounting classes. My goal was to earn enough credits that I could be certified in the state of Michigan as a Substitute Teacher and I did reach this. In the state of Michigan you have to have a transcript showing that you took at least 90 credited hours at a 4 year college maintaining a certain grade point average. The reason that I started this process was because as a paraprofessional, my job was looking to be cut. But it was not, so now I have this to fall back on.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010