Giving up on potty training for a while!

My dd got really sick last sat. and had a temp of 100.3 , since then she do not want to use the potty at all. So we have decided to go back to pampers again until she show's me that she is ready to go to the potty again. I don't want to push her to do something if she do not want too.She is 21 months old and was fully daytime potty trained till last sat.

Do you think what i am doing is a good idea (to stop potty training till she shows signs again)or would you push her to use the potty anyways.

Please No bashing!

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 11:13 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont try to push. You can still try it with her, just go back to basics. Have her try, but dont be worried if she doesnt want to or has accidents. shes still young, so this is actually IMO the best time to try because they are so curious about it. So if she shows any interest at all go for it!! I personally wouldnt give up totally and act like what you had never happened, because it can be very hard t start back up again, thats why I say just start with the basics again!! Im sure she will catch back on real soon!! =) I hope shes feeling better!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:16 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• She's still young, so I think you're fine. We tried to potty train ours when she was 18 months. She had a lot of the signs, but didn't have the patience to sit there and learn. She's now 21 months and we're trying again. She seems more willing to try this time around. You might want to just ask her every day if she wants to go use the potty. Make it out to be an exciting thing and I'm sure she'll go back again soon.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If she's resisting it as much as you say, then it will be a huge fight, and that will make it even more difficult to get her on the potty. You might have to let her regress a bit for now, and then once she's healthy, give it another go.
    Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I agree with everyone else, don't push. She's still very young and it's common for kids to go back and forth once or twice, especially when there's a stress (like being sick). Instead of completely backing off I would still ask her if she wants to sit on the potty and remind her so that you're still working with her just not pushing her to do anything. ((hugs))
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 11:34 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Like all the above posters I agree. Do not push your little one to use the potty. A lot of times kids will start to grow in things like potty training and can revert for a bit. If you push them it just makes them not want to try. One of the best pieces of advice I heard is that "let your child do what comes naturally, they will do it when they are ready."

Your little one is still young so you have time. It may just be that she feels out of sorts from being sick and is needing time to readjust.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010