any tree-hugging ant killers here?

I have little biting ants in my front yard. I DON'T want to use any kind of nasty chemicals that kill everything or that have negative effects on the environment. I also don't want to get bitten by ants anymore!

Any ideas? Thanks!!

:o)

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 11:32 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Boil a big pot of water say a lobster pot full and pour it on the mound. I know you have to kill the queen so sometimes the pile pops up a few feet away a few days later but I've had luck with it. I guess eventually they either move away or I get lucky and she dies. Also I've heard if you have had a dry spell that's about to break you can sprinkle corn meal on the pile the ants eat it and then drink the rain and pop but I've not had a lot of luck with this one.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• http://gomestic.com/gardening/six-natural-ant-repellents/
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:34 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• the raid any traps work well. Just set em outside and the ants eat the bait and it kills the colony
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I've been making my own cleaners lately. After finding out I'm allergic to so much, it has really helped. The following recipe is in the book The Naturally Clean Home and says that it works on ants. I have not tried this out. It says you should spray them on their travel routesHope this helps! 

1/2 c flaxseed oil

5-6 garlic cloves, smashed with skins on

2 c water

1 tsp liquid castile soap

Combine flaxseed oil with garlic. Cover and let sit overnight. Add the remaining ingredients to a spray bottle. Strain the garlic from teh oil and add oil to the spray bottle. Shake well before using.

JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2010