How would you react to this? I was offended and didn't really know what to say...

This woman I know was asking me how work was going and I told her that I got a new job, and when I told her what I was doing, her reply was " don't you need an education for that ?" then she said " so what do you make minimum wage?" I just said no and walked away. What would you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• You know, it would really have depended on her tone - was she being bitchy or was she really wanting to know. I work an an EA in a local high school and many people have asked me what education was necessary for me to get the job (answer: none), and also what kind of money I make (answer: pretty good). They can come across as bitchy, but in most cases they are interested in finding out these details because it's something they've thought about doing and want to know more about it, what steps they'd have to take to do it, potential wage. So it really depends on the tone, more how she said it. Plus I really don't take offense quickly or easily - what's the point? All is does is upset me and I've got better things to worry about and spend my time and energy on.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would have done the same thing, just walked away.. Or said something stupid like "well since im sleeping with all my bosses, im making more than you ever will"... but if she has a big mouth, thats not the best idea! haha
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If she had an education, I would have told her "obviously an education doesn't help with being a bitch" then walked away.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• "Do you have Obnoxious Personality Disorder?"
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'm with all these other people. Yea I'd be offended.

Next time you see her ask her if "her education has helped her learn any manners or class?". Some people are ignorant enough they don't realize how rude they are!
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• and next time you see her pay her no mind.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:39 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would have been offended too. That is kind of rude and I think walking away and not reacting was the right thing to do. She wanted to get your goat and upset you and by not showing it she did not win. She does not sounds like a good friend.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:42 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Thanks ladies, I wasn't sure if I was just taking it the wrong way or if anyone would have been offended by that. LOL kwismommy, I couldn't tell her that, we were at church
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• That is rude. How much money you make is no one's business. If you want to be polite because you were at church, all you have to say is that it's none of her concern.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• What a presumptuous bitch IMO. I would have been offended by that and asked her,"Why do you come to church? Don't you learn anything by being here?"
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2010