What is the differance (since I never paid attention in school when I should have) between...

political groups?
Why should I join one?
Why should I vote?
Can you convince me of the importance?
Have you chosen a political view?
Why was that your decision?

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The actual politicians all seem pretty darn similar anymore.

here's a quiz to help you figure out where you fall

http://politicalquiz.net/
    I'm a conservative, and I lean libertarian, so I favor less law even with the activity is something I don't like, as long as the activity doesn't hurt someone.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:45 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• conservatives - spend less, smaller government, teach a man to fish
    liberals - spend more, bigger government, give a man a fish
    Then there are all the social wedge issues that make no difference at all, but people still use them when they vote. In general:
    conservative - anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, anti-drug
    liberal - pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-drug
    In general, conservatives vote Republican and liberals vote Democrat, but reality is most people fall somewhere in the middle on social issues - they're pro-gay marriage, but anti-abortion or pro-choice but anti-drug. And all the candidates do the same thing regardless of which party they belong to (act in their own self-interest, not the voters), so it's more a question of how do you want to be screwed over than if you want to be screwed over.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:57 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• if you aren't going to pay attention, than you probably shouldn't vote (that's not meant to be as mean as it sounds).

the best thing to do is start educating yourself. Hang out over here a while, there are smart ladies on both sides of the fence, read what they have to say, read their sources, see how you feel about the conversations. You'll find that you naturally start to form strong feelings about the different discussions, and then you'll want to find politicians that feel the same way you do and get them into office.

As you read sources, you'll find you naturally prefer one over another, but it's important to fact check everything, because the media spins things.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Aligning yourself with a political group is as varied as the day is long! Bottom line is, political parties reflect our belief systems and lifestyles. If you're religious and live your life following a set of religious teachings you lean to the right or conservative. If you're not religious or have turned your back on religion for whatever reason, and prefer to "live and let live" then you tend to lean more to the left or liberal. The more you lean in either direction defines your preference.

Interestingly enough, the MAJORITY of Americans find themselves in the MIDDLE of the political spectrum--libertarian or Constitutionalist. Meaning they're capable of weighing each political issue and deciding which side they most agree with.

If you can't be bothered with following politics or issues--whether you don't care or understand them it's best not to weigh in or vote on ANY issues until you HAVE done your due diligence!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• So I should stay not voting? its all so complicated no wonder I didn't pay attention lol
    ____________________
    Don't worry about a label. I would take other's ideas of the definition of Republicans and Demcrats with a grain of salt...NP's little analysis leaves a lot to be desired. When presented with the candidates, look up their website and see what they do and what they want to do. Do a little checking into their integrity and then just vote for who you agree with.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• http://www.markshannon.com/republicandemocrat.htm

Here's a side-by-side comparison of dem. and repubs.

Always, vote. Your voice counts no matter which party you choose.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• While I remain personally fiscally conservative, I am also willing to share more of what I have with others.

***
    As are my husband and I! When I say that I am conservative leaning, it does not mean I am stingy or selfish--quite the opposite, in fact!! Funny, how when you don;t like someone for OTHER reasons, you can twist everything they say, and read between the lines to try and find something that simply isn't there, in a vain attempt to elevate yourself as some kind of moral elitist!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I didn't pay attn much to it either and still really don't. I think people pay lip service to the their Partys but in the end vote the way they want.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• you join the one you most agree with, I'm a independent
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• So the test say I should be a democrat..... what are they lol sorry I know I am dorky..... but for real?
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2010