I need some opinions on ceral rice for a one month old!!

my second child is one month and three days, he has a lot of gas, and some constipation. i am giving gas drops-mylacon, and gripe water. both are helping but my baby is all tense with tummy pains. my first child was the same way, we started rice about two months old with him and it helped. should i start rice with my one month old or wait for the two month mark? Would drinking an once of water a day help the tummy? keep it nice ladies, a colic event is hard enough without rudeness. thanks!

CowboyMama

Asked by CowboyMama at 11:45 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You do what makes you fell comfortable...your his mother and you know if he's ready or not. I started both my children on cereal at about three or four weeks. I know it's bery taboo to do it but I swear by it for colic and for sleeping through the night. Just mix the cereal with the formula so hes still getting the formula nutrients.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• oh and I dont know abou tthe water....that gives me heartburn really bad i dont know about with babies.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think you should wait at least a couple more months. Sometimes cereal can aggravate their stomachs more.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Nope, you shouldn't be giving rice or water to a one-month-old. Are you breastfeeding? It could be something you're eating that's causing the tummy troubles. If you're a formula feeder, he could require a different formula base.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:57 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• No I would not give a one month old any food other than breast milk ( or formula is that's what you do). Any thing else will only further agravate their little tummys baby's that young aren't ready to digest other foods yet.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'm in the same boat as you. My ped. told us to add a tbs. of rice to every 4-8oz of milk. My son was only 2 WKS old then. We tried waiting but made it to the 3wk mark (he has been miserable)and he seems to be doing a little better with the rice added to his diet. we only do a tsp. to his 3oz when I bottle feed him.(We wanted to start out small and go from there) We still need to wait a few days to make sure. But his doctor is the one who told us to add the rice at two wks so if you feel comfortable with it then try it. I have heard neg. things about giving baby water though, if you choose to go that route maybe you should talk with ped. 1st. Good luck!!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Cereal should never be given before 4 mo. It doesn't help colic or make babies sleep through the night. It causes constipation. Babies NEVER need rice cereal. It was invented to get iron in babies before iron was in formula. Iron tastes horrible and there didn't used to be formula with iron. Since babies now get iron in the formula there is no need for rice cereal. When babies start solids they can start on fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avocado and feed themselves. Babies don't need baby cereal or jar foods.

Since your baby is having so many problems because of formula you could relactate and breastfeed. La Leache League Leaders can help with this.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Is baby breastfed or formula fed? If BF it might be something you are eating. If FF, it may be that he needs a different formula... or it just might be that formula in general is hard to digest. Either way, cereal will really only make things worse. It's binding because of the extra iron (same thing that makes formula constipating) and giving it too early can cause long term digestive and auto-immune issues (instead of just short term fussiness).

So, try diet change if you are BF... a different formula if FF (or, if relactating is an option, that would be a thought!)... wait on the cereal until at LEAST 4 months for FF, 6 months for BF (and in that case you can skip cereal altogether). Cereal only helps to alleviate acid reflux... and even that has to be really really bad for the risks to outweigh the benefit. It will only make gas and constipation worse.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would wait. Even 2 months is way early. 4 months is the recommended minimum age. 6 months is ideal. Cereal could actually make the problem worse. Especially the constipation. I really wouldnt do it.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I want to think all of you for being polite and considerate in your answers, thank you!!!
    CowboyMama

Comment by CowboyMama (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010