Spin off- If it were legal for your teen to drink in your house, would you let them?

This is a spin off of the teen drinking post. I saw quite a few moms say no, because it is illegal. So, if it were legal would you allow your teen to drink in your home? Or for you would it be more of a moral thing not to allow your teen to drink?

(Just so you know, it is legal for your teen to drink in your home, with your permission in most states except 14 plus Washington, D.C.)

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 11:50 AM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• (I don't have a teen, but..)

Yes, I believe, in moderation I would. I don't think id let him get trashed... but if he wanted to try a drink or something. Better in my home, where he is safe, than behind my back somewhere potentially dangerous.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think its fine. I live in one of the states that says its legal. Its better for children to learn about alcohol at home, so you can teach them control and such. If a teen just randomly goes to a party and discovers alcohol, that could be way worse...
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I didn't have a drink until was 21, at Christmas,with my relatives. They gave me a drink and said they wanted me to find out how alcohol might effect me (if anything) at home and not with other friends.
    I thought the Legal drinking age was 21? I wouldn't want my kid to drink even at home if he or she was under the legal age. That's too early to start a bad habit.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't even drink, why would I want my kid too? Now, their father's house, is a different story. I am sure he would. However, my kids are on their own now, do they can drink at home if they want.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My parents let me drink at home as a teen, but now that Im older, I wish they would have been more strict on me and not allowed such behavior. Alcohol has caused alot of stupid, preventable things to happen, and personally I wish I had never even begun drinking. So, no, I wouldnt let my teen drink, home or anywhere. I would try my best to keep them on the right path.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:55 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If it were legal, yes. With a few conditions. She would not leave the house, she would give us her keys, assuming she had a car, and she wouldn't get shit faced. If there were friends over, I would have to talk to their parents personally and get their permission and they would follow the same rules. I would rather her drink here, where I know what's going on, that no one is slipping anything in her drink, and know that she doesn't have to worry about a ride home.
    Also, they couldn't get so wild that the cops were called by the neighbors :-)
    Just sitting with a drink watching a movie or something, if it were legal here, I wouldn't have a problem with.
    I think it is illegal in KY. My dad was arrested for "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" when my brother snuck some friends and beer in the house while Dad was sleeping. Cops got called by a nosy neighbor who saw kids bringing in beer. They weren't loud.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• if alcohol weren't a solvent~but dang...
    Now in CA..if you are a single mom in charge of kids, you are "drunk" even in your home...CPS can pull your kids right then and there..

as a fostermom I got a placement on christmas day because mom was too drunk when cops came to the door ~still drunk from the eve~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would prob let him drink wine, or a beer, but I wouldnt let him get trashed, just like I dont get trashed at home
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• That is a hard one for me because I'm an alcoholic.My last drink was January 9,1999.Also...my kids are adults now.
    When I was drinking,yes,I more than likely would have.But now,My answer is no.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 11:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• No. I think by letting them cross that line you are setting them up. I believe we should uphold the standards we want to see in our children. We do not really drink very often so it is not like something they are left out on. If we do have a glass of wine with dinner at a special occasion, they can have a Shirley Temple or a Virgin something.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2010