Crayons--I hate them!

Not really, but man I cannot give my child a box of crayons without him just taking them and breaking them right away. Taboodles were a joke because he just bit the crayons out of them. Magic markers he leaves the caps off of (and chews on them too). Colored pencils aren't much better, because he's either chewing them or giving them to the dog. Well at least I'm fairly safe (I think) with these washable finger paints. I'm letting them play with those now. It's funny though, because he found a little paint brush and he's insisting on using it. Well I guess I won't have messy hands to clean LOL.

I don't even really know what my question would be. He's 3 so I know his behavior is pretty normal...kids break crayons. But I sure don't much want to give them to him anymore to play with (but I will because they make him happy).

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• oops! that should read MY kids think it's great fun.

No recipe. Just remove all the papers, put the little crayon chunks in the tins, (we always do some like colors with like, and some all mixed up - they'll melt really cool!) Put your oven on a low temp (I do mine at 200 degrees), watch carefully for just until they melt, pull them out when melted, let harden, pop out and see what you get! (Be careful when pulling them out, you don't want to swirl around and get mixed - they'll just get all muted gray). Fun, easy, no-cost way to spend a rainy afternoon and get new crayon discs!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I recycle broken crayons by melting them in an old cupcake tin. You get round disc shaped crayons that are still very usable and are very hard to break. And it's fun to get creative mixing colors too, by kids think it's great fun to help make the new crayons!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 12:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I think there's a way to recycle crayons, maybe you can melt them together to make a unique crayon that he can't break. I seen one the other day that was neat, it's plastic and on different edges there's different colors of crayon. I was going to buy one for my daughter but couldn't tell if they'd pull off the plastic hub thing or not. She don't chew on crayons though. She don't really break them on purpose either. She's 3.5yrs old and loves to color and draw and read.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My DD doesn't break them anymore (she's just over 3) but she loves to write on EVERYTHING. I made the mistake ONE TIME of grabbing the wrong box (they weren't washable). Now I have crayon all over my walls.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My daughter puts EVERYTHING in her mouth! lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My older son is almost 9 and he still breaks crayons. So does my almost 8yo dd. And both put everything in their mouths. They never grew out of that and I'm constantly telling them to take their toys out of their mouths. We also banned markers for a long time in our house because they wrote all over each other, the walls, furniture and left the caps off of everything. Paints were similarly banned. So they have crayons. But we don't toss them when they get broke (unless they are tiny pieces) and they don't get more. They are stuck with broken crayons.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I didn't think about that. Do you have the recipe for that?
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Awesome, thank you! I may even just do that with his crayons before he breaks them, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I tossed them because I didn't like to have the little bits and pieces laying around, drove me crazy. But he also got them taken away for awhile too. But I love this idea of melting them into disks. I've already melted a bunch, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010