I NEED IDEAS FOR GETTING MY SON UP ERLY EACH MORNING FOR MIDLE SCHOOL!

He goes to bed at 9 pm each night..But continues to give me a hard time to wake up..I know he doesn't like school. His bus comes at 6:52 am. In elementary school the bus came at 8:20. Now it is quite early. I can't get him to bed at 8:30. it is still kinda light out. Any advice?? I tried the squirt bottle of water, alarm clock constant ring. I'm about to go buy a trumpet! Any advice from the parents of hard to get up children.

Magarific

Asked by Magarific at 12:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Does he just not wake up or does he refuse to get out of bed?

If he doesn't wake up ... take his blankets off his bed . Set different Alarms to go off in his room away from his bed so he has to get out to shut them off.

If he is refusing to get out of bed... start punishing him. Not to the extreme but things like taking away his cell phone (if he has one) you'll give it back if he gets up the next morning. Take a way video games.

In both scenarios you can always take down the blinds / curtains in his room let the sunshine in without any filter. Good luck getting him out of bed :)
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• pour cold water on him :)

Okay for real, get two alarms and set them all around his room so he would have to get up to shut it off
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• get dark curtions put them up close them at night in the morning go in there an open them an put alarms in diffrent spots in the room good luck i was his way when i was in high school
    Gracelynn2011

Answer by Gracelynn2011 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My parents were mean. This is what they did:

Put butter and Dawn dish soap in my hair so I was forced to wake up with enough time to shower.
    Pull my bed out and flip me off my mattress.
    Steal my blankets.
    Poured ice cold water on me.

Meanest one of all:
    One morning I opened my eyes to a big nasty barn spider my dad found in the garage. My feet didn't even hit the floor until I was in the shower.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I know how it is...my son sleeps through his alarm-that thing can go off for an hour and he won't even flinch
    It's almost a daily fight to get him up-

last year we tried the "if you don't get up the 3rd time I come in you go to bed half hour ealier tomorrow night" he HATED that and it worked some of the time...then I tried squirt bottles and telling him he wouldn't get to play World of Warcraft and that worked too most of the time...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I absolutely LOVE all your answers.. The multiple alarm clocks I will try...also the opening of the shades. He doesn't have a cell phone and really not interested in video games. However He could not live without riding his dirt bike!!! This boy is 11. I have a 20 year old but NEVER had an issue of not being able to get him up.
    How tramatic with the spider!!!!LOL
    Thanks for all the advice. Let's give it a try when September hits!

Magarific

Comment by Magarific (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If all else fails.... make it his responsibility. Why are you trying so hard? I know he is still a child. But what would it hurt to let him be late? No college is going to remember that he got detention for being late for school in middle school. But what he will remember if you continue to assist him each morning with rolling out the door - that someone has to take care of him instead of taking care of himself. If he isn't dressed by the time the bus comes, he goes in his pajama bottoms. Doesn't have his hair brushed or teeth? Goes with stinky breath.  If he likes girls then he will care.   Sounds mean but the natural consequences beat having to argue with a teen every single day and doing the rat race to school. My suggestion: let him fail a few times. By that, I mean let him be late. If he is late, talk to the school and let them dish out a consequence for him.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• dang... poor kid that is REALLY early!

What if you drove him... could he get a little more sleep? How about if he gets up Monday - Thrusday on time with out a fuss you let him sleep in Friday and drive him. Or if he does it Tu-Fri... you let him sleep in the next Monday.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Seriously, things can work some of the time but the goal is to get him to work at it all the time. Supply him with what he needs: an alarm clock. You can remind him to pack his lunch, his backpack, lay his clothes out the night before....all those comon sense things every parent knows about. But encourage him to do it. Before school starting a morning drill to get the hang of it. Or the drill doesn't even have to be in the morning. Just so he can run through the morning routine. Middle school is a big year. A time to grow up. Growing up means mom doesn't have to splash water on you to get you up or chase after you every few mintues. Growing up means your rear end is on the bus with or without your jeans on. PJ's or jeans...but one way or the other the butt is on the seat. If mom or dad save him each time there is never an insentive to do it on his own. As seen above: it only works "sometimes." Goal is all the time
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• wow... I answered before reading the other responses... some of those are down right mean. I have to say that may get him up on time but it wont do a dang thing for your relationship. I think I would try some positive rewards before I would choose some of those options.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010