Debit cards.

I use a debit card for just about everything. I do write out checks to pay all the major bills, but for everyday use I use the debit card. I really like mine, what are your opinions on debit cards?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 12:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I LOVE MY DEBIT CARD ! I always forget to pull out cash so I rely on my debit card all the time. It's convienent and easy
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You can pay bills online and not have to write checks at all. You have an online record and you don't have to buy stamps. I've used debit cards and online billing since they were invented.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I use my debit card but we are trying to use cash more because with a debt card, we spend a little more than we do if we use cash.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We only have the prepaid debit card that my husband's pay check is direct deposited to. It's okay for online bill paying, which is what we do for most of them (phone, insurance, electric, cable and such). I prefer this kind. There's no chance of an accidental overdraft if we add wrong. If the money isn't there, it won't get spent.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i think they make it faster and more convenient at like the store or online shopping...but i still keep a ledger for all my transactions cause its easy to overdraw if you aren't working with physical cash.
    xXaggravatedXx

Answer by xXaggravatedXx at 12:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I do not have one i have major cc.. My daughter have them though with there bank and the love them they have the mc logo so they can be used either way .
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 12:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I like debit cards, but you have to be careful with using them in some places b/c you are charged a fee for using it. A mom and pop liquor store that I go to sometimes, charges a fee. So does McDonalds. If you go to McDonalds and use a debit card, they charge you a fee and your bank charges you a fee. No one knows this, you end up getting charged twice for your purchase. So keep an eye out for business's that charge extra fee's. Personnal I think thats just a huge rip off!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I pay my bills on line at my bank with E pay. I use my Debit card a lot for every day use. I rarly write checks anymore.

Answer by louise2 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• At least you can't rack up debt with them :) That is as long as you don't go into the hole with your checking account.

We only use our debit card for fuel and to rent movies at redbox. Other than that, it's cash only.

Statistically speaking people spend about 12 to 18% more when they use a debit or credit card. Another study showed that when you spend cash it neurologically registers as pain. As Dave Ramsey puts it (paraphrasing) when you hand that $100 bill over to the cashier you know that uncle Ben isn't coming back." When you use a debit or credit card, you swipe the card, you get the card back. For some reason that makes people act like they aren't spending any money- or at least not as much. So we spend more.

So we've cut our expenses down by a lot by using cash :) Debit cards are good for some things- especially the zero liability Visa. But I'm a fan of saving money and I save money by using cash =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I pay everything online except the trash collector, and I could do billPay for that but haven't set it up yet. I prefer to use cash otherwise, although I do have debit cards (MC & Visa) to use for online purchases.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010