How would you describe this?

Someone comes into your life and starts telling you that you need to stop letting other people tell you what to do and how to live your life. He pumps you up and boosts your self esteem, massaging your ego, telling you that you've been a victim, but it's time for all that to stop, because you're smarter and stronger than that. As soon as you are attentive, he begins telling you exactly what to do and how to live your life. He repeatedly tells you that if you don't do exactly what he says, bad things will happen to you and your family.

Is this someone with your best interests at heart, or his own?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds someone that like to have control
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• His own.
    He is trying to break you away from those you have been dependent on. When this occurs, he is then trying to be the only person there.
    Don't just walk away.
    RUN!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• easy answer: someone on a personal power trip. A person with an agneda that they feel must be in the best interest of all.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would laugh so hard i tll they would start laughing too ... Thats how ridiculous that person would appear and sound to me.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 12:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

It's not necessarily a single conversation - it's a systematic wearing down then building up again that stretches for months or even years.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• sounds like a control freak ? If you love someone you give them advice but don't force them to take it. I have a few friends that I care greatly about and I'm watching them make bad choice after bad choice. However I give them my thoughts and opinions (only when they want them) and don't force them to take the advice I give.

This guy sounds like he likes control and wants it his way. He doesn't have your best interest at heart, if he did he'd be ok with you taking the advice you wanted to take not all of it. All because you don't do what he says does not mean that bad things are going to come your way. It just means he isn't getting what he wants.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• OMG! Let. It. Go. Already!!

We get it! You don't like Beck, and you support the Mosque with every ounce of your being.

Do you see how these two hot button issues have divided even the most level-headed and reasonable among us--even more than the 2008 election?! People are losing their ever-loving minds in the past month over just these two issues!! It's getting to the point of insanity!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• insanity!

Good word choice, though I was leaning more towards irrational. How is it you can clearly see the point, yet still reject it?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You've described Beck to a T. If he wasn't such a baffoon, I'd say he is one scary individual.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Beck hasn't pumped up my self-esteem. He hasn't scared me to death either. He hasn't taken over my life. He has, evidently, said something that is true or you wouldn't care so much.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010