Food issues.

My 5yo has always had issues when it comes to food. She's not just a picky eater, she refuses to eat anything from vegetables to mac and cheese. I even have to push desert on her sometimes!!
Anyway, I posted a questions 2 weeks ago saying I'm always fighting with her about food and most people told me I shouldn't and let her eat when she's hungry.
So I made a deal with her and told her she can eat whenever she's hungry but she still has to sit down at the table with me at mealtime.
We have been doing this for 10 days now and she sits at the table with me as agreed but she eats some breakfast and some dinner (very small amounts). Then she says she's not hungry. I don't want her to lose weight because she's already a little skinnier than she should be.

What else can I do?

mygirlpaige

Asked by mygirlpaige at 12:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give her vitamins. Set a good example by eating a variety of healthy foods. Go to google and type in superfoods for ideas of new healthy foods. If she sees you trying new foods it can help. I think it's great idea she is sitting with you while you eat.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Just fix a plate of food. Put it in front of her. If she refoses to eat any of it. Throw it away and tell her she will get to eat at the next meal.. when feeding her do not let her drink anything but water. Kids fill up on juice, sodas, and sweet drinks.

Answer by louise2 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My daughter was like that. You need to buy fill in snacks that she likes that would supplement her existing eating habits. There are snacks out there that are good for children but taste good so a child will want to eat them. If you can get her to sample some of them you may find she will eat more variety. For example cereal is filling, can be a snack and is loaded with good carbs and fiber. I've seen it across the cereal boxes lately, or finger foods that don't require any forks like mini pizzas you can put in the toaster oven or microwave, ice cream in a cup or pop which is good for calcium, small sandwiches she can eat with juice or milk, hotodgs cut into pieces she can just pick up and eat. There are many fruits that can be offered like apple wedges, or orange segments, or bananas which are a good source of potassium. I found my children ate better when the meals were small.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Dont push it. John wasn't an eater, He would go days without eating. Make sure you give her some type of vits. & talk to the doctor. As long as they can get a few tablespoons into their systems they are all right, or so the doctor told me......

Thankfully it passed with john & He eats, but doesn't eat much, but hes still health as a horse...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Make her a shelf in the fridge and a shelf in the food cabinet and keep foods she will eat on her shelves. Take her shopping and let her pick out foods. Encourage healthier choices and forbid only really unhealty choices. For example if she wants candy a chocolate bar with nuts is a healthier choice (if possible). Let her eat between meals. Encourage her to try some new things. Take her to buffets and make it fun and she may try some new things. My grandson loves buffets. Don't make rules like desert last. My grandson usually wants ice cream before he is done eating. We started letting him have it and he almost always eats the ice cream and then a whole big stalk of brocolli. I don't know why he likes brocolli after ice cream. He is 23 mo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Have you taken her to the doctor? Loss of appetite can be a sign of something. If she is overall healthy, I'd just keep what you're doing. So long as she's getting healthy foods. Some just have a smaller appetite than others. My daughter is the same way sometimes. There are some days she eats like a baby bird, and others she out eats me and my husband.
    Some people are just going to be skinnier than others.
    Good luck :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't think I can call it loss of appetite, she's always been like that. She's never said she's hungry. But yes, she's a really healthy kid and even though I don't push really healthy food on her, she prefers eating veggies than mac and cheese.

The doctor says every time she willingly eat anything, even the junkiest of foods, it's a victory! So I let her eat pretty much anything, anytime she wants.
    mygirlpaige

Comment by mygirlpaige (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Have you talked it over with her pediatrician? Dr. might hook you up with a child dietitian, or give you a prescription for those kids shakes, with all the vitamins they need. The kids LOVE them. We had that happen with 11 yr old she's always been petite, when she was about 5 we had gotten them for her & she loved them! It's one way to " KNOW " your childs getting the vitamins that she hadn't before. *&* her pediatrician does the hemoglobin to check blood at physical app.'s so it tells if she is getting enough Iron and some other counts as well. We would by baby foods in the jar for a while for her (when she was 4 /5) because she ate them. I didn't like it, but she ate it *&* there was a variety.She's still tiny but healthy *&* eats ALLOT!..lol.. Good Luck~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 1:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I really do not understand this whole thing about let your kids eat what they want when they want. I am 29 yrs old when I was a kid we ate what was cooked when it was cooked. I ate foods that I did not like then and that I still do not like today. I knew better than to whine and complain about what I was given to eat. Do you think all these kids in these poor countries thlove plain rice and such as that? NO but but I am sure they know if they are hungry and want to eat that is what they have. Why on earth do we assume kids in America are so much better/different from any other kids over the world? Please do not come at me with the nonsense about developing anorexia or bulimia. Those are not just eating disorders.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• treynlisa

She never whines or complanes about WHAT we have. She's just never hungry- not for brocolli, not for burgers, not for ice cream, nothing!
    mygirlpaige

Comment by mygirlpaige (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2010