Easy fun activities for an almost 2 year old?

I will be taking my son out of daycare at the end of the week. What are fun activities that work wth your 22 month old with a short attention span? He has more toys and books than he needs, but I need to make a list of art projects or any other creative thing I can get him into. Please share any ideas to help me with my shopping list!

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Painting. Finger paint is non-toxic and safe. Get a poster board, or a roll of paper and let him have at it. I laid out a roll of brown paper when my girl was around 2 and put some paint on paper plates. She stepped in some and made foot prints, made hand prints. I also let her lay down and I traced her. Then we drew her clothes, facial features and all that. She loved that.
    Candy land is a great game for that age. If he can tell the difference in colors and can count to two he can play. They even have it in cool characters (I've seen Dora, Diego, Spongebob and another one I can't remember).
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• art projects wont work for an almost 2 yr old, try coloring with crayons it will last 5-7 mins maximum. its also a good way to start teaching colors. also a good one is trying to toss a ball back and forth to each other, that will last about 4-6 mins (good way to develop hand eye coordination) if tossing a ball is difficult try rolling. Also a good dance session is always fun download or go buy some alvin and the chipmunks ( kids that age love it) and dance with him for about 4 minutes. Get some giant building blocks and teach him to put them together, usually lasts 10 mins at a time.
    I run a daycare for kids 18 mo to 6yr olds thats why everything is so specified
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• at toys-r-us they have this thing in a jar...its big block shapes with a hole in the middle..your kid can string them on like giant beads.My kid likes to do them and then drag it around the room. Also, at walmart they have this giant puzzle pieces that make a foam rug for their room. I got one for my niece and she takes it apart and puts it together multiple times a day. Also, try a bike :)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• LOL!!! Lek...I love your realism with the 4-6 min. However, my son LOVES catch and will play that for at least 20 mins! I'll test out the Alvin and chipmunks CD.
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Familyfun.go.org
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Those sticky foam shapes - we get big buckets of them at Michael's and my son loves to stick them on paper. Also, while it's warm, give him a paintbrush and a bucket of water - let him "paint" the deck or porch. Edible playdough is fun to make - you can google the recipe and just use cookie cutters if you don't have any playdough accessories.

Answer by missanc at 9:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010