How do I deal with my 4yo dd's snotty attitude?

Sometimes I don't know what to do when my dd starts acting like a little booger. For no reason at all, she'll throw a little hissy fit. Mostly just back talk & eye rolling, arm crossing, nose in the air type behavior when I'm trying to talk to her. Sometimes she'll smack the couch or wall to show she's angry. I've tried talking to her to explain how her behavior is disrespectful, but I don't know if she understands. She does time-outs when it gets really out of hand & will be an angel for the rest of the day, but it starts again the next day. How am I supposed to handle her newly acquired attitude problem?

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 1:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• dicipline and positive renforcement of proper behavoir.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Wow, when did my daughter move in with you? My DD is 4 and does all of this also, and that tone. Oh my gosh, where did she learn that snotty tone? I'm a stay at home mom and closely monitor anything she watches on TV. I'm at a loss where this attitude came from and how to stop it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i wish i could answer this for you, but i'm going through the same thing with my 4 year old son. i'm sorry i'm not much help
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 1:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• yeah i cant help either, my 4 year old dd is doing the same thing. We do time outs as well, but she will turn around and act like a brat all over again, there are days i send her to time out like 5 or 6 times...its horrible. :(
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Same here , my 4 yr old son is quiet a handful.

I've started not responding to behavioir like that. I put him on his bed where he is out of sight. I tell him that mommy won't talk to someone who behaves that way. At times he is hurtful, telling me he doesn't like me or love me. I know he doesn't mean it but it's frustrating.

HAVE FAITH LADIES, I keep telling myself this is a phase. So long as we let them know there behavior is not ok they will out grow it *Fingers crossed for o ur sanity** :)
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If you don't believe in spanking for this kind of behavior, I have no advice for you. I hear this question asked over and over again. I have raised 3 children and am helping raise 6 grandchildren, and this kind of behavior is not a problem. We spank for direct disobedience and blatant disrespect, and it is highly effective. The thing is that once you implement it, you will seldom have to use it, because it works so well.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Continue being consistent with the time outs and try not to show any emotional reaction to her attitude because otherwise she will thrive on that reaction.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 2:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My oldest DD is like that. For us, nothing other than extra attention works. As long as she's distracted, we don't have the eye rolling bratty behavior.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My 3 1/2 year old loves to argue with me so just know you are not alone.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 7:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My 4 year old daughter gets like this too. I just keep consistent with the time outs when I see the "attitude" come out.
    JaeNmissMae

Answer by JaeNmissMae at 8:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2010