When are kids suppose to learn colors?

My daycare and I have been teaching my son colors for a while. He is 22 months. He can say all of them, but doesn't seem to differentiate them very well. My husband is color blind...is there a way I can tell if my son is or do I have to wait?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm sure you can talk to your pediatrician about this.

But don't worry to much. My son at 4 knows all of his alphabet and can count to 30 however he can not tell you which ones are which when looking at them. It's all about memorization sometimes they can remember the words and the grouping but can't always associate them to sight.

Try working with him on flash cards if after sometime it's an issue then ask your pediatrcian. But knowing colors at 22 months is great !
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have a 23 mo grandson and he doen't know colors at all. He only says a couple of words that people can understand. We talk to him about colors, "do you want to wear the red Spiderman shirt or the green Hulk shirt?"

Kids may not know colors until they are 3.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• They can learn it in preschool or at home. but they review it in Kindergarten as well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Anywhere between 20 months and 36 months. Some kids will be sooner and some later. I wouldn't worry about it now, I would wait and see in the next several months. Just keep note of anything that would seem like it might be color-blind and mention it to his pediatrician at his next appointment.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My son was about 26 months when he could tell you which color was what. BUT, I wouldn't worry too much about it until about 3 years old. If by then he still can't tell you, ask your pediatrician.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 1:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Really, the best diagnosis made for being color blind is when they're older. Most diagnosis for disorders and other such things aren't really accurate at such a young age. Teaching a child colors can start as young as a few months old, or even a couple years old. It depends on the parent and the child's willingness to learn. How quickly they learn them again has to do with their willingness, but also just their general learning ability. Give him a little more time and see if maybe he picks it up.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Mine knows her colors and she's almost 3 but she can't say them. If we say go get the blue/green/pink ball she'll go get it but she dosnt talk very much anyways
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Right now he's still pretty young to decide. Keep working with him and see if he can tell the difference between green and red over time. My little brother is color blind and this is how we knew - red, green and brown all look about the same to him.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Well, that was something my son picked up and new first actually but I suppose like all things.. it takes time and she will get it overnight :) that is how I feel my son does with everything .. he goes from no interest or not knowing something to BAM like he dreamt about it over night and just woke up knowing it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My 21 month old knows all of his basic colors (the ones that come in an 8 pack of crayolas) by sight and can tell you which ones are which, but we've been working on it for a little while too - we talk about colors all the time (ie when on a walk we talk about the green grass, the red sign, the brown squirrel, etc)

Answer by missanc at 9:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010