any ideas on getttin a 2 yr old to try any kind of foood?

he wont put any thing in his mouth! even take him to occupational therapy for eating and he just screams! then we get home and he wont eat for days. so miffed about this hole ordeal!

lukesmomma1979

Asked by lukesmomma1979 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cut his food into cool shapes with cookie cutters then ignore him. He's using food as control and he's winning. Believe it or not, the kid will not starve himself to death.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• does he have someone that he loves to copy, sounds crazy but i had a cousin who would not eat anything but she loved to do anything her other cousin did. She would do anything that girl did, they could only get her to eat peppermint patties unless her cousin give it to her. She had her eating fries, cinamin rolls, sour candy, even some meat, sometimes adding something from a favorite cartoon will help to. Like the spongebob mac n cheese. Act like its a treat. And if that doesnt work sometimes tricking them by saying its not theres and they cant have it makes them want it. If my daughter thinks i dont want her to eat it she tries to steal it. lol
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Like the Previous Poster said, a kid won't starve themselves, when they are hungry they will eat.

Make it like it's a game though. Put a bowl of small cereal in front of him and line it up like a train or something. Get a spoon that makes noises when you put it in his mouth.

Keep putting the same food in front of him, eventually he will eat it. When my son was 2 he went through a phase all he wanted was mac and Cheese, So i'd mix things in it like Peas, or Hot dogs and sometimes little chicken bites. He'd eat everything in the bowl ! or I'd give him something healthy like apple sauce and tell him he couldn't have his mac and cheese until he ate the apple sauce.

Now he loves Apple sauce and fruits :D. Good luck and remember patience you can win this battle
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• he has gone 6 hole days with out eating anything! i broke down yesturday because he wont eat. i finally got him to eat about 10pm last night and that took 25min and a ton of distraction to get him to open his mouth! today i try to feed him he threw a fit. i am gonna cut back on fluilds till he gets very hungry. thats the only thing i can think of.
    lukesmomma1979

Comment by lukesmomma1979 (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My two year old will only eat from mommy or daddy's plate, NOT HIS so maybe he will eat (if he's hungry enough) if he sees just you or daddy eating... ?? I have to say I like the first answer though because my son tried it too, he may just be testing mommy with what he can get away with :0) Hope it works out for you ma!!
    numommyto1

Answer by numommyto1 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• eating, peeing and pooping are 3 things kids have control over. continue to have healthy foods readly available for him at his dispense. gl
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 1:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i will try to leave out foods for him :) and i try to feed him off my plate. i even give him some on his own plate. he just plays with it. some times will lick the utensil but never the food. this is un normal right? i mean he should be eating by now? although he will eat very soft tomatoe pieces out of my healthy choice meals.
    lukesmomma1979

Comment by lukesmomma1979 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Did you recently change the type of food he was eating? I know that sometimes when you go from different texture foods a child can not want to eat what is given to them. if he was on baby food for a long time maybe trying feeding him mashed potatos. This is something you can flavor different ways so it's never the same taste twice :)
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• let him help in the kitchen. At two my little boys were cutting soft food with butter knives, cutting cookies and sandwiches with cookie cutters, stiring stuff up, pushing buttons on the blender and food processor and at four now my oldest can crack an egg, wisk it up and operate the microwave to make his own scrambled eggs.....with supervision of course. It sounds like you are seeking medical care and therapy. Personally if you are at home I would ignore it. Fix his plate, make him set at the table till everybody else is done, but if nothing makes it in his pie hole don't make a big deal out of it. If the dr. cant find anything wrong with him perhaps you need a second opinion....good luck.
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Was your son born prematurely or suffer from any other issues? Does he put other things in his mouth such as toys? What does your occupational therapist say? Reason I ask is my son suffers from what they call an "oral aversion" and his was due to prematurity... It makes it EXTREMELY difficult to get him to eat and in actuality, he really WOULD starve himself than eat most foods... Send me a PM if you want to talk.. I'm more than happy to offer any support! :)
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 2:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010