Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

do you allow your family eat anywhere other than the dining area?

such as the living room/family room or bedrooms?

Answer Question
 
stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 21 (11,741 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • My son and I eat in the living room at the coffee table. It's our casual dinner time instead of being stuck at the dinner table. I know it sounds weird but it feels more comfy and relaxed for both my 4 yr old and I.
    bubblycute

    Answer by bubblycute at 1:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • Yes. Our dining room table is usually covered with glitter, scraps of paper, and several drying pieces of artwork. We usually all sit on the couch or around the living room, turn off the tv and eat together there. You don't have to be sitting in a circle around a table to be together. You just have to be together with no distractions.
    Sometimes, Kyra eats lunch in her room, occasionally she'll eat breakfast or snacks in there.
    Kiwismommy19

    Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • yup..its just me n my daughter, and 99% of the time we eat in the living room..the other 1% we eat outside having a picnic..i just cant envision me and her sitting at the kitchen table..doesnt seem right..
    alexis_06

    Answer by alexis_06 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • Right now it's just my husband and I eating outside of a highchair, so we eat in the living room. Now that the kids are getting older though we're going to start eating at the dinning room table. I want to instill in my kids the importance of family dinning, because I really believe that it helps bond a family. However, my kids will never be allowed to eat in their rooms. I have a weird thing about food in rooms, it kind of weirds me out for whatever reason.
    JazzlikeMraz

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • I'm eating in my room as I type...

    The only place no food is allowed is the boys room and the bathroom... Beyond that, yeah, it's all good!
    SabrinaMBowen

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • Ummm.. ...No... because my family, filled with lazy testosterone, leave plates and glasses all over my house and expect me to clean it up. So no, if they want to eat, they can sit at the table.
    WoodWitch

    Answer by WoodWitch at 2:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • We normally eat all together at the table. I think it is important, but that is just me and I have to say that I am currently pregnant and while my boys do have fairly good manners at mealtime they are not perfect and watching them eat...particularly the two year old kinda makes me sick.... so they sit alone and I hide in the kitchen. I can still see them but the up cllose view of their little dirty glasses in no where near as bad..LOL
    ambernicole531

    Answer by ambernicole531 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • Well, we haven't finished rennovating the dining room so yeah, I wouldn't even want the kids eating in there right now. The girls eat in the kitchen or outside when it's nice (that's where they like to be). They can also eat in our room once in a while, but no food in their rooms because the dishes don't ever come back out.
    scout_mom

    Answer by scout_mom at 3:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • We eat together as a family - at the table - every day - without the television on. It's important to catch up on the day's activities and reconnect.
    mpeada

    Answer by mpeada at 4:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • We eat in the living room. We prefer the causual side and catch up talking on each's other day.
    Mom2Just1

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.