Was homosexuality frowned upon in early Christianity?

Through much of history, especially prior to the Fourteenth Century, many Christians did not share the view that marriage was a reward for being heterosexual, nor that a same-sex union was objectionable.

http://www.alternet.org/story/147925/christian_right_bigots_are_hiding_the_truth_--_early_christians_condoned_gay_marriageChristian

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• it's actually really really really well documented. One of the things that made me question my church, because I found out they just weren't being honest.

However, I've come to believe that they were not intentionally being dishonest, they'd just never questioned tradition.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• No, calling people "hate mongers" when the only group you ever target is conservative Christians is spreading hate. It doesn't flow from the right to the left only and never the other way. There is an irony to this that I don't think you guys are capable of seeing. As I see it, sweet and you, NP, are the worse of the "hate mongers" on this site.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• No, calling people "hate mongers" when the only group you ever target is conservative Christians is spreading hate.

***

^^^ THIS!!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• So are you saying you want to go back to the laws prior to the 14th century?? They had some pretty crazy stuff back then?

You don't honestly expect me to change my mind because of a theory/book from a gay professor do you??? LOL! History has a "history" of being reinterpretted to fit the writers ideals.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Just because its documented history doesnt mean it is right.
    I know you are desperate to prove that Homosexuality is good... but it never was. Otherwise God would not have designed a woman for Adam in the first place.

Keep trying tho. I will never be convinced. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The early Christians were still practicing the ways of the pagans. They were mostly the gentiles. How about the early Christians who were converted from the Jewish faith? They believed that homosexuality was an abomination to the Lord? Paul was the Apostle who convinced the rest to allow some of the practices to be tolerated and phased out in time. A complete change would have been too hard for the converts to handle. I think that shows early religious tolerance of Christians to early Christians.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• That's nice... I am a Christian and don't believe in homosexuality and none of that changes my opinion, but I respect your right to disagree....
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 2:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• No, don't expect you to change your homophobia, you can read the article, look at the paintings and make up your own mind

LOL! If believing the Word of God makes me a homophobe, then I will wear the label with pride. Sweet, I looked at your link and the second page as well as Lovin's link. All are based on someone's opinion. I'll take CENTURIES of church teachings and the Bible over "somebody's" opinion if you don't mind. If you do mind, well then I suppose you can go to he)), that's where I understand non-believers go. :p

Natesmom, you have to go to about page 10 to find anything! The expert..I use that term loosely, John Boswell wrote a book titled "Same-Sex Unions in Pre-Modern Europe." It seems this book is just as accurate as Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code." LOL

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• hate mongers

Is this your phrase of the day? You have used it often. Now, who is being divisive and inciting people. Just by posting something like this is spreading hate. You aren't very happy are you?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Not everyone believes in the Historical Bible and the "history" of ADam and Eve....they were symbolic, fictional characters in a book written by men...its not something you should impose upon others as the truth. I would only believe what I heard or saw IF I lived during those times. Therefore,I won't go along with anyone's interpretation of the Bible' s view on homosexuality. Sorry.... If I can't be there at the actual moment, can't see it or hear it, I consider it is hearsay and rumor.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010